99 Silverado 1500 rear brakes

I have a 99 Silverado half-ton 4x4 that has the rear disc/drum emergency brake combo on it and I have a rotor that needs replaced, it is making all sorts of ugly noises (metal on metal) I've been quoted anywhere from
$300-$680 to replace everything on the rears (rotor/drum, pads and shoes). I never got to price just the parts but judging by looking around online parts are gonna be $200+. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he said that it's not a job for just anyone to take on if you don't have the right tools. Just curious what others thoughts on just how hard this is to do.
Thanks
Adair
It's not that difficult. You will need a special tool for spring removal and installation ($5) and several hours of time. Make sure to get a big can of brake cleaner (spray on). That makes a big difference, and if your drums are like mine you will have to take a large hammer and whack them REALLY hard to get them to break loose.
Buy a Haynes repair manual and check out the procedure, or look at it in the store if you want to see what is involved and determine whether you want to pay someone $200 or not.

Thanks, looking at it it doesn't look like it would be more then doing a disc and drum at the same time...If parts are more then $200-250 and I can get it done for $300-$350 I'll let someone else do it.. I don't have 8hrs to spend on the project.
Adair
The internal rear parking brake hardware is a little tricky to replace, usually they rust up, get new e brake shoes and hardware, they have all been updated by GM. The disc brake portion of the job is routine.

-
Adair Winter wrote:

Simple job really. Even the park brake shoes inside the hat of the rotor is simple to replace. It's a one piece shoe that is held on by a tiny little spring clip that is held in place by an 8mm screw. You have to walk the shoe off of the axle shaft, but it comes off. You install the shoe onto the actuator/adjuster by starting one end and then prying the other end up into place. No special tools needed.
The rear disc brake pads are straight forward, like doing the pads on front brakes.
Ian

Good info, I suppose next time I will do these myself but I didn't really want to mess with it because I didn't feel like I could take the time to mess with them myself. It cost me $345 to get everything on the rear replaced. $48 of that was labor. I can stand that.
Adair