99 Silverado 5.3 4x4 not starting happily

78k miles, recently has all the new filters and such from 70k service visit.
All of a sudden, I had to crank a few more times on start. Then it happend again, but this time really scared me because I cranked and
cranked, then I think the computer did an auto-reset (does that happen?) cause all the interior lights went out and my clock reset, and then it started. Or was this because battery was close to dead? Maybe it has a battery save mode?
Read a few posts and seems like fuel pressure regulator may be the cause?
Thanks.
c
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Check battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yup, pull battery cables and pull back that rubber coating. Clean out all the green white gook with baking powder and water. Then check the grounding strap to the engine and make sure that's clean.
GMC Gremlin

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Or change over to a top-post battery(with the appropriate cables).
GMC Gremlin wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bad idea. Stay with AC Delco and you'll love yourself for it.
GMC Gremlin

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I disagree... I've had a top post battery in my '88 K2500 for years w/ no problems (well problems due to the side posts) and jumping off equipment is a hell of alot easier.
-Bret

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AC Delco doesn't make top posts, that's why it's a bad idea. Never said anything about the battery design.... even my father's '95 Caravan is a side terminal.
GMC Gremlin

service
and
reset, and

Maybe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AC Delco does make top post batteries.
Larry
GMC Gremlin wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
And by the way Gremlin they also make a battery with both top and side posts.
Larry
GMC Gremlin wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sorry, I love GM, but the sidepost battery was a BAD Idea. KENG
GMC Gremlin wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
why you guys talking about cleaning battery posts when I clearly stated that it was cranking fine?
c
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Because there are TWO battery feeds within the one Positive terminal. One feeds the starter only and one feeds the rest of the vehicle. Either can fail to conduct properly. One would result in a no crank the other can result in crank but no start. KENG
c wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It might help if you could describe exactly when this is happening and how it runs after it starts.
Does it start ok when cold ? Or is it the same when either hot or cold ??
Mine had a problem with the fuel pressure regulator that showed up as a hot start problem that required a longer cranking time and some pressure on the gas pedal to get it to start. But when cold it would fire right up no problem.
Its quite easy to check if the regulator is bad. Most common failure on it is a bad rubber diaphragm. Pull the vacuum hose off the regulator and look for gas to drip out of it. If it has gas in the vacuum hose, replace the regulator. Easy job..
Gerry

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well Jeremy was right. Loose negative battery connection.
Weird though because in the past, a loose connection means no cranking. In this case, loose connection was allowing to crank, but not starting. thank though.
c
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.