99 Silverado 5.3 4x4 not starting happily

78k miles, recently has all the new filters and such from 70k service visit.

All of a sudden, I had to crank a few more times on start. Then it happend again, but this time really scared me because I cranked and cranked, then I think the computer did an auto-reset (does that happen?) cause all the interior lights went out and my clock reset, and then it started. Or was this because battery was close to dead? Maybe it has a battery save mode?

Read a few posts and seems like fuel pressure regulator may be the cause?

Thanks.

Jeremy Bomkamp

Yup, pull battery cables and pull back that rubber coating. Clean out all the green white gook with baking powder and water. Then check the grounding strap to the engine and make sure that's clean.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Reply to
KENG

Bad idea. Stay with AC Delco and you'll love yourself for it.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I disagree... I've had a top post battery in my '88 K2500 for years w/ no problems (well problems due to the side posts) and jumping off equipment is a hell of alot easier.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

AC Delco doesn't make top posts, that's why it's a bad idea. Never said anything about the battery design.... even my father's '95 Caravan is a side terminal.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Reply to
KENG

why you guys talking about cleaning battery posts when I clearly stated that it was cranking fine?

KENG

AC Delco does make top post batteries.

Larry

GMC Greml> AC Delco doesn't make top posts, that's why it's a bad idea. Never said

Reply to
Larry

And by the way Gremlin they also make a battery with both top and side posts.

Larry

GMC Greml> AC Delco doesn't make top posts, that's why it's a bad idea. Never said

Reply to
Larry

It might help if you could describe exactly when this is happening and how it runs after it starts.

Does it start ok when cold ? Or is it the same when either hot or cold ??

Mine had a problem with the fuel pressure regulator that showed up as a hot start problem that required a longer cranking time and some pressure on the gas pedal to get it to start. But when cold it would fire right up no problem.

Its quite easy to check if the regulator is bad. Most common failure on it is a bad rubber diaphragm. Pull the vacuum hose off the regulator and look for gas to drip out of it. If it has gas in the vacuum hose, replace the regulator. Easy job..

Gerry

Reply to
Jake

Well Jeremy was right. Loose negative battery connection.

Weird though because in the past, a loose connection means no cranking. In this case, loose connection was allowing to crank, but not starting. thank though.