99 Silverado Rear Brake Rusted & Parking

Page 1 of 2
I went in today to get rear parking brakes fixed... (at the dealership) surprise not a recall item because I have a automatic transmission, not manual. Exact same parking brakes, but since no one has died yet from
the parking brake failure on a automatic transmission its not covered! Anyway the almost $300 repair job worked fine, I have better parking brakes than new. Why do I care? I park on hills a lot and just somehow can't bring myself to trust the parking pawl in the transmission.
So since the brakes are working so good, I thought I'd jack up the rear tire to make sure they did not have them sooo tight they were dragging. They were ok, but I did notice a BIG hole (maybe 1 x 2 inches) rusted in both rear brake backing plates... I could look in and see something that looked like brake parts!!
I realize this is a 6 year old truck, but I've never seen so much rust on everything underneath, brake, fuel lines and these brakes. So should I just get some galvanized or stainless sheet metal and patch up the hole, complain (to who?) or trade off the truck?
Same on my 2000 Silverado. I was going to change them when I replaced the rear pads but you need to pull the rear axels to do it.
Al

On 28 Jun 2006 17:23:40 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Were do you live because they were fixing it for free in some rust belt areas on the Silverado style trucks. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
I live in New Hampshire, is there a TSB or recall?
Al Bottoms Up Divers

No not at this time.... but if you have a manual transmittion the parking brake has a recall. When I get this fixed, I plan on writting a nice letter to GM with some very clear photos of the rust damage to the rear parking brake/rear brake backing plate.
ajtessier wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

was it a hole rusted or just the edges of the little hole used to loosen the adjuster?
There is no little adjustment hole, like a real drum brake. You have to do a trial and error remove and reinstall the rear brake disk / parking drum after every adustment. No the holes were down low and I'm upset because it looks like dirt, water, snow, salt and whatever can now get inside these holes. Ie: another $300 repair job a year or so from now. I'm thinking I can silicone seal some stainless or galv. steel over the holes??
Eugene Nine wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Every real drum brake I've seen had that hole at the bottom, no trial and error needed.
Eugene this is the parking brake, the "real" rear brake is disk. The parking brake drum is on the back of the rear disk brake rotor. The cable operated parking brake shoes are on the back plate, like a real drum brake would have. Not a good thing as the adjustment is as I have described... that is why I took to dealership, so any recalls or claims for payment for repairs would not be disputed by GM.
Eugene Nine wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yes, what I'm saying is there is still a hole in the bottom, mine has one ( '04 ) for the adjuster. Also please post correctly in the thread, your making it difficult for others to follow.
Yours is a newer model, and perhaps drum brakes? My son's new GMC Sierra PU has drums in the rear. Anyway since the adjuster is at the top of the parking brake (all one piece, two shoes assy) there is no need for a hole at the bottom, unless is was intended to act as a drain? In any event I've never had a car or pickup with so much rust, even after 20 years. My question was, how many other owners are having the same problem and what did you do to correct? I top post as I always have because if someone is following the post, they have already read the messages before and have no need to scroll down through needless quoted lines.
Eugene Nine wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

They didn't switch back to drum brakes until 05, mine still has the rear discs. I haven't needed to adjust mine yet but see the oval hole at the bottom like traditional drum brakes.

Just because you have always posted the wrong way doesn't mean you should continue. Your or my preference doesn't matter unless we wish to re-write the usenet standard, I switched to posting properly years ago when I learned there was a standard.
So is yours rusted...? I'm looking for a solution. Thank you for your input.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not yet, but mine is newer so we shall see in a couple years. What I mean is there is a hole there already so yours is probably not rusted through.
Trust me its rusted! A 1 x 3 inch hole you can stick your fingers into is not a adjustment slot. My suggestion to you and others is to paint or coat in some way this plate, perhaps the new ones are from the factory. My thought is the rust started with the slot. Does yours have a rubber plug? Otherwise it would rust from inside and out, perhaps explaining the parking brake problem, I and others are having.
Eugene Nine wrote:

Follow Up: Just got off the phone with the service manager of the dealership, they will allow me labor credit for not calling me when the whole thing was apart and given me the option of replacing the back plates then. So since there is not a recall I get to pay another $300 plus to R&R backplates... I will need to go to GM for any claims for labor and materials.
Thanks Eugene and others for taking the time to reply.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Usenet has NO STANDARD as to top or bottom posting. It is personal preference and the Usenet GUIDELINES state as much.

Thanks JR.
JR wrote:

JR wrote:

RFC1855 is the guideline which says to not top post. Yes all rfc's are just guidelines but when you don't follow those guidelines communication breaks down. Just try to follow an old thread which has been top posted and you will see. Thats why when I got on the internet years ago I looked up the standard to see what it was.
This is clearly off topic, so I will limit myself to this final comment.
This is the reference to top or bottom posting in 1855.
If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the entire original!
Again, there are NO Standards. Do as you please. If you decide to ignore any of my top posted messages you may or may not miss something useful to you. You makes your choice and takes your chances. I have seen more "Net Nanny's" laughed off Usenet than stick around trying to push a moot point.
Regards, JR
BTW, The RFC's were written by a group of university affiliated persons trying to create a controlling influence over all things internet. Their postulations were largely ignored and relegated to the ashheap when their intentions became obvious. In fact, many of the original institutions have purged their archives to distance themselves from the attempt of creating that "controlling influence".