99 Silverado - when did your brake pads need replacing?

I have a 99 Silverado 4x4, 5.3 liter.
I'm approaching 78k miles, and still running on original brake pads.
When did yours need replacing?
This weekend started smelling burnt breaks going downhill, and am
thinking I'm due. But I'd expect to hear the squeeking that the warning tab would give me?
thanks.
It is normal for the brakes to last a lot longer than that . I have 155,000 km on my 2000 Silverado, If you smell brakes I would be concerned about the parking brake shoes. They are a separate little shoe on the inside of the rotor. You have to pull the rotors off the truck to see them. There has been problems with those shoes on the Silverado. Hope this helps. Scott
I don't think the lining on the mini trucks is quite as robust as on your truck. If you keep your calipers greased/free I honestly think you will never need new pads on your truck though. There is just so much meat on the new pads and rotors, it's an awesome design.
GMC Gremlin