99 silverado Z71 4x4 transfer case problem

Does anybody know if the front driveshaft should spin in 2HI? I have looked at two other silverado Z71s (newer models) and they didnt. The chevy garage is giving me the run around and I need some reliable info
from other owners.
mikepersing wrote:

If you have the automatic transfer case, in most cases...yes. Do you have the auto4hi button on the dash in addition to the regular 2hi, 4hi, 4 lo buttons?
Ian
"mikepersing" wrote: > Does anybody know if the front driveshaft should spin in 2HI? > I have looked at two other silverado Z71s (newer models) and > they didnt. The chevy garage is giving me the run around and I > need some reliable info from other owners.
My son has a 2000 Z71 that is doing the same thing. I have a 2004 Z71 and the drive shaft does not turn. However, according to my mechanic there was a change made to the transfer case in later models (Im not sure what year, but probably 2001) that changed this functionality. The older models (im sure your 99 is the same as the 00) do keep the drive shaft turning, while the later models do not.
Hope this helps.