99 Suburban Knock

I have a 99 Suburban K1500 4x4, 5.7L. It has 175K miles on it. I drove it sat on about 125 mile trip and parked it in the garage. I started it on
Sunday morning and instantly noticed a load knocking noise that appears to be coming from the passenger side of the engine. I am thinking that with the mileage it may be a rod. How can I tell for sure if it is a rod? Is it safe to drive?
Brian
No way to say it won't leave you stranded, normally a rod or main knock will lower oil press. considerably. You can short out one cylinder at a time ,if the knock at the same rpm, diminishes significantly, this usually indicates a rod bearing problem.

-
"Shredder" wrote:

Does it knock when you first start it or all the time?, Is it worse when it gets hots? How is the oil pressure too and when it the last time you changed the oil and filter and what grade oil are you using. Also I recommand that you do not drive it until we get a better understanding of the problem.
It knocks as soon as it is started. Oil pressure is normal. I haven't let it run long enough to get hot. I have let it run for about 2 minutes and the knock stays the same the whole time, when RPMs are increased the knocking also speeds up. Oil and filter was changed 2700 miles ago and I use Rotella Synthetic 10W30.

Would my knock sensor be throwing a code if it was a rod knocking?

Should, but may not.

-
Sounds like its time to buy a new vehicle.

"Trail Shredder" wrote:

No, the rod knock has a difference frequency than a ping/knock that the knock sensor listens for.