99 Suburban problem

I had a knock in my 99 K1500 Suburban 4x4. I tore it down and found it was a collapsed lifter. I took all the rocker arms, lifting rods and lifters
out to inspect all of them. They all looked OK, so I just replaced the single lifter, re-assembled arms, lifters and rods, adjusted the valves and put everything back together. When I turned the engine over, it sounded real strange, like no compression or like it would sound if spark plugs were out. I suspected that maybe my timing was off. I have double checked the timing on it by the timing marks and rotor location and pretty certain it is correct. After some deep thought and reading 2 different manuals (which listed 2 slightly different procedures for adjusting the valves) I am wondering if my valves could be out of adjustment. I adjusted it as described in the GM manual. It states to adjust intake valves 1,2,5,7 and exhaust valves 1,3,4,8 with #1 cyl at TDC. and the others at 360 degrees from that. It also states to tighten rocker arm nut till lash is out and then one additional full (360 degree turn). I did this and once I would turn the crank 360 to adjust the other set of valves I noticed that more would loosen up. I assumed that it was from the lifting rods seating in the arms and lifters, so I did that about 4 times total until they were all tight and one additional turn. The other manual is a Haynes and it says to turn an additional 3/4 of a turn instead of a full turn. Neither one says to keep turning the crank until there is no lash. Is it possible that I over tightened them and therefore they are mostly open and I am not getting any compression? Any thoughts would be great.
The lifter will collapse when adjusting and may falsely loosen up with no oil pressure to maintain the setting. I think I would loosen them up a few turns each and see if it starts, then set them by loosening till they click then just down till the lash is gone then the 3/4 turn. This is with the engine running, ( can be messy) do one side at a time.

-