99 yukon-no power steering

Was making a tight turn in 2 wheel drive and all of a sudden no power steering

--checked the obvious things- belt -fluid. is there something I'm missing here? no warning or anything to indicate a problem. only 40k on this truck-Can I just assume the pump is bad?

Reply to
Dave44

"Dave44" wrote

steering --checked the obvious things-

just assume the pump is bad?

Reach down to the ps pump pulley (while the engine is not running, obviously) and see if you can pull the pulley out more then 1/4". If so, the pump shaft has probably broken inside the pump. This is a relatively common problem, which would be difficult for the DIY'er to diagnose, as the pump appears to be turning.

Fix will be to replace the ps pump.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

turns out that you are correct and I was thinking about changing it myself, but just don't have the time. Local shop that I have had very good luck with told me that he has had problems with the xyz brand of rebuilt pumps he will only use ac-delco rebuilts(about

200$) for the pump and 125$ to install. After talking to him I realized that I most likely would have had more problems not knowing about the positioning switch and puller needed to get the pulley off..How in the world can a ps shaft break with only 40k on it?? seems way to early for that
Reply to
Dave44

"Dave44" wrote

myself, but just don't have the time.

problems with the xyz brand of rebuilt pumps he will only use ac-delco rebuilts(about 200$) for the pump and 125$ to install. After talking to him I realized that I most likely would have had more problems not knowing about the positioning switch and puller needed to get the pulley off..How in the world can a ps shaft break with only 40k on it?? seems way to early for that

It does seem early. I think that there is some sort of material defect in these shafts. It was a very rare occurence for ps pump shafts to break until the last few years.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I dont suppose gm would admit to any kind of engineering problem unless either alot more have problems or somebody gets killed... lucky for me I wasnt far from home when this happened or going to fast--I'd hate to try to control that beast at a higher speed if it broke on the breezeway---yikes!!

Reply to
Dave44