99 Yukon Steering Question

I have a 1999 gmc yukon sometimes it feels like the steering goes away for a second or two has anyone else had this problem? Everything feels tight fluid is good no leak's
Thanks for the help in advance. Bryan
Per biran:

In my '98, there was a sensor somewhere in the system that helped relate steering effort to vehicle speed.
When it came loose (twice), when it just plain failed (once), and when I lost my battery due to alternator failure (4 or 5 times...) it stopped doing it's job and the steering had a feel that might be described as you decribe your problem.
--
PeteCresswell