A 4x4 made by GM?

Hello all,

I have checking out the GM website for a new vehicle.

I currently have 98 Jimmy and I am use to having the "on the fly" change over to 4x4. I love the 4 lo when I get stuck, especially the past 3 days here in NY.

I have not been able to find a 4x4, most of what I see are FWD or AWD in the GMC, Chevy and Saturn families.

I have I over looked something? I don't what anything bigger like a Suburban, I like the size I have now.

Thanks for your help.

Dave-

Reply to
Xanth

Your vehicle is called the Trailblazer now and the Colorado replaced the S10 pickup.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

xanth....consider a toyota FJ cruiser or a Hummer H3 which is on the Colorado frame.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

Consider also that while the FJ is a very nice truck you have to burn premium gas, increasing the cost per mile for that 20mpg they quote. The H3 is sitting on a reinforced and modified Colorado frame not a standard frame. Actually, if I wanted a small truck the H3 would be a great choice and if they ever go with a diesel engine as they promised to do, it will be a real contender. There are several hummer forums, I would start to lurk and see what people are saying... Also Land Rover is saying, next year they will start to import an Americanized version of their 110 defender. I am sure it will not be cheap but if it is a diesel model (probably not) it would also be a contender in the mid size utility truck market (actually the 110 would be considered full size). The hummer will cost you around $29k but they basically come fully loaded with only a few trinkets here and there.

Good luck, mark

Reply to
rd

Given that the H3 like the H2 has the aerodynamics of a brick do not expect the best MPG with one on a road trip.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

All is not as it seem because a H3 really needs more than 87, it only tolerates it for sales reason (that is only reason that there is a knock sensor) so you are not really gaining anything because you will likley get less MPG with one on 87 which means cost per mile may be higher. Toyota is up front about true octane requirements. When gas was maybe a a buck a gallon, 20 cents was a big deal but at 2.50 a gallin it is less than 10% ans 89 less than 5% which you could easily recover with a modest MPG increase. You should know that all detriot MPG tests for EPA sticker are performed with 93 octane not 87 but the law does not require them to state that on sticker because they want it to be detriot freindly and no imply that you may need more expensive fuel to get best MPG which could be a sales killer.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I drive a 1999 4x4 tahoe as daily driver and it uses 87 octane and runs perfect at 18 mpg at 60 mph constant old john

Hello, SnoMan! You wrote on Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:42:10 GMT:

??>> Consider also that while the FJ is a very nice truck you have to burn ??>> premium gas, increasing the cost per mile for that 20mpg they quote.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Old John....what snoflake is going to tell you is...that if you would run 92 octane and advance your base timing, you would generate 800 horsepower, run a 6 second quarter, and get 30+ miles per gallon. You might even score a couple extra girl friends.

I just don't think you get it.

Now he told me that even the 92 I run in my wife's 32V Navigator wasn't good enough....but I'm not sure where to order "SnoGas".

Skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

I have a 89 burb I bought new with 180K+ miles on it now and for first few years I tried 87 and it was a slug in hot weather and 15 was best it ever did on a trip and usually 13 to 14 with AC on and constantly downshifted on grades. I switched to 93 many years ago and it runs super, rarely downshifts and will click off 18 MPG on a trip at 65 to

70 even with A/C on and will still do 17 or running 70 to 75. It has seen as high as 19 in cooler weather. These are good hard numbers because it has a 40 gallon take and I usually drive 500 to 600 miles on a trip before I refill and it is not based on a top off. You do not know what you are missing untill you run it for a few tanks, especailly in warmer weather. Knock sensor is good at its jobs and quells knock before you hear it but everytime it retards the spark to control it you do silently loose power and MPG potenail, especail in hot weather and or towing. 87 octane was designed for 8.5 cr or less and detriot uses knock control trickery to keep the illusion alive that 87 octane is the best possible fuel for it. Get you a realtime OBD2 scanner and watch the timing curve and air flow in engione with 87 and 89 or better and you willl see a difference. If you want quicker result, remove ECM fuse for a few minutes to reboot it to purge 87 octane curve in memory and have it learn new timing curve potentail.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I told y'all.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

sounds good enough for me.hehehe only 3 girls are required old john PS: if you quit ranting and really check, you will find that snowman is right more consistantly than most of you

Hello, News! You wrote on Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:45:05 GMT:

??>> I drive a 1999 4x4 tahoe as daily driver and it uses 87 octane and ??>> runs perfect at 18 mpg at 60 mph constant old john ??>>

NS> Old John....what snoflake is going to tell you is...that if you would NS> run 92 octane and advance your base timing, you would generate 800 NS> horsepower, run a 6 second quarter, and get 30+ miles per gallon. You NS> might even score a couple extra girl friends.

NS> I just don't think you get it.

NS> Now he told me that even the 92 I run in my wife's 32V Navigator wasn't NS> good enough....but I'm not sure where to order "SnoGas".

NS> Skimmer

??>> Hello, SnoMan! ??>> You wrote on Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:42:10 GMT: ??>>

??>>>> Consider also that while the FJ is a very nice truck you have to ??>>>> burn premium gas, increasing the cost per mile for that 20mpg they ??>>>> quote. ??>>

??>> With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net ??>>

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

I don't read snoman's post to keep score...only for the humor. I have given him credit for being the fastest responder in this group.

If my dino-scam read ODB1 I'd try his trick on my 93 4.3z Tex-O CAFE package and report the differences.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

Took my 2007 Silverado 4x4 crewcab from Sacrameto to Los Angeles and back. Averaged 22.5 mpg. I'll take it.

Mark

Reply to
LionsDen

Actually that is my quote from my post. I also use 87 octane in my suburban but it is a 3/4 ton with 4.10 gears so I am happy with 12mpg. Of course before they went to 10% Ethanol I got 14mpg but that is besides the point... :) I am actually pro diesel but until they get the emissions issues worked out mileage is going to be a little lower then desired by most owners.

mark

Reply to
r_d