A/C compressor shot?

I have a 95 Tahoe which required pretty extensive air conditioner work last spring. Had leaks, and it took a new condenser, etc. to the tune of $800. Now, low and behold, spring 2004 comes along and . . . dead A/C again. Seems like the panel switch works, but no familiar under hood sound of the compressor engaging and slightly changing engine rpm. I am hoping this is not the compressor, cause I am tired of spending big bucks on A/C repairs on this rig. Any ideas, could it be something simple? Already checked fuses, etc.

Reply to
Mike W

Probably the same leak that drained it the first time. There are a few things that will cause the compressor to not kick on, and low refrigerant is one of them. The compressor clutch could be shot, the clutch relay could be shot, the low-pressure switch could be shot as well.

The compressor has a two wore connector, green and black. While the truck is running, set the controls to Max AC, jump the GREEN terminal on the compressor directly to the POSITIVE battery terminal, and the BLACK terminal on the compressor to the NEGATIVE battery terminal. This should engage the clutch and kick on the AC. If it kicks on and is nice and cold, probably the low pressure switch. If it kicks on and is warm, probably low refrigerant. Best bet would be to buy a cheap low-side pressure tester at Autozone for ten bucks and measure low side pressure (at 2k RPM) with the compressor jumped.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I have a '94 6.5tb w/ A/C the A/C will run fine for a couple minutes but then it will start engaging/disengaging fairly rapidly non-stop with a loud clicking sound, any ideas? I have just unplugged the power to it for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
xeonpro

Have it charged with refrigerant.

Reply to