ABS Brakes

Ok, group I hope you have a solution. It has to be a common occurance. My 2000 GMC Z71 is a beautiful truck. The only problem I have encountered is with the brakes. If I have to stop hard (for example on a light change) and
after hitting the brake I hit a bump or pot hole in the road my brakes get "harder". I can hear my ABS motor working but my stopping distance increases and that worries me. I have been to the dealer but they say it is "normal". I bought the truck new and the problem has always existed. I think it is anything but "normal".
Thanks for your input. Gary
What's happening is that as you hit the bump the tire will skip and possibly stop turning briefly making the ABS computer think the tire stopped moving and causing it to pump. Not much you CAN do. I've experienced this in other GM vehicles...

Mike Levy wrote:

As have I, both GM and other brand vehicles. Solution is to look try to find a vehicle without ABS. Thats getting hard though since people think they improve safety.

Do you have stock sized tires? Larger tires definitely amplify the problem. I have 287/75s on mine and it was pretty bad. Once the abs kicked in, the truck would not stop. I took it to the dealer and they uploaded some new firmware that was just released (about 2 years ago) and the problem seems to be much better. If you still have the original code, might be worth looking into.
Derek