ABS light lit on GMC 1500 Sierra

This morning I went out and started my truck and when I got to the end of the driveway and hit the brake, the ABS (yellow) light came on and stayed on. It's been really cold here the past few nights. We had a snowstorm last night. My truck is a GMC 1500 Sierra 4X4 year 2000 with a little over

100Kmiles on it. I read the owner's manual and all it says is that I need to have the ABS system serviced. I called my mech and he is away for the week (must be nice!), so I am wondering if this is a really serious problem with the brakes or if it will keep till he gets back?? The brakes seem to work fine right now.

TIA, Joe

Reply to
Joe

I believe that when the ABS light is on you have no ABS brakes...normal braking will not be affected. Can you still feel the brake pedal pulsate when you try to brake hard on the snow or ice?

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Hello Tony,

I have not tried that. My mech thinks maybe some kind of dirt or contamination got into it due to the snow, cold, and/or possibly the road salt they use around here. He is going to check it Friday if it is still lit. He said as long as my brakes are working ok, it is not an emergency. Thank you for the suggestion.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Chev / GMC have a real issue with the ABS failing and needing to be replaced.

Happened on my 1999 Chev that I had some years ago, dealer put it under warranty truck even though I was about 500KMs over.

Found this on a website

An occasional problem is failure of the Antilock Brake System (ABS) Control Module. The cost to replace the ABS Control Module is $830.22 for parts and $136.50 for labor. Prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Reply to
cds

ABS control module. Sounds pretty expensive. Do you have a link to that web site? I am wondering if there is a certain amount of miles after which it would be likely to fail. I am a little over 100Kmiles.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe