ABS Question on blazer

ok this morning I started my 99 blazer when I got 2 doors down the street my ABS light came on. While that light was on my trucks speedometer didn't work
at all nor did my transmission. It was suck in first gear going about 15 miles an hour. After driving it for about 15 mins up and down the road along with repeated restarts, the light went off while I was driving and then the speedometer started to work. What could have caused this to happen and is it something I should be worried about? also what can I do on my end to help this problem not to happen again (hopefully)
any help would be appreciated...thanks
Sounds like the VSS, located in the tailshaft of the transmission or transfer case is shot. The VSS is the vehicle speed sensor, it drives the speedometer and also acts as the rear wheel speed sensor for the ABS. See if a shop, or Autozone, can pull the code for you.

yeah good one...i got my truck fixed today and it was the Speed sensor. Good call man.

No problem. Were you able to take it under advisement when dealing with the shop or did they come right out and say what it was?
When 2 systems, linked by only one common part, fail (speedometer and ABS both use the VSS) that common part is typically the failure point...

No they came out and told me that. When i got home from picking it up, i read your response afterwards. Just bad timing on my part. At least they didn't try to screw me over or anything. Which is a good thing.