ABS questions

Out of lurk mode now. I've got a '99 Yukon 5.7 4x4 with the low speed, just before stopping ABS kicking in problem. Will make some stops OK. I know.... clean the sensors but shop manual says these sensors are internal in the front wheel bearings. Bearing going bad contaminating a sensor? They are in a sealed bearing and not on a open hub picking up road junk. Truck does see winter salt but it's not my full time ride. Just looking for some experienced feedback before I start trying to snap off a sensor in the hub for nothing. I'm a tech in the appliance field and appreciate feedback from working pro's like Ian and others who run into the weird stuff on the job.......

TIA John

Reply to
Repairman

Your shop manual is wrong.

The wheel speed sensors mount into the steering knuckle, the tone ring that is also part of the scheme is part of the wheel bearing but it typically isn't involved in the particular failure that you're experiencing.

Jack the truck up, grab the wheel top and bottom and see if there is any play in the wheel bearing, if so, replace it. To cure the erroneous anti lock engagement; Remove wheel, brake caliper and rotor. Remove the two wheel bearing hub bolts that hold the splash shield, be careful not to strip the hex off, they'll be tight and rusted. A good quality impact socket is highly recommended. Set splash shield aside. Remove the allen bolt that holds the speed sensor in place, again, be careful of rust build up/clogging the hex. Blow off all rust and crap around the speed sensor with compressed air. Carefully twist and wiggle the speed sensor out of the knuckle. You can gently grab it with a pliers. Plug the hole in the knuckle with a plastic cap or other suitable plug of appropriate size so you don't contaminate the wheel bearing. Clean the area on the knuckle where the sensor mounts of all rust and scale, clean it down to bright metal. I use a spot blaster type sand blaster. Clean all rust from the wheel speed sensor. One of those toothbrush sized brass wire brushes works good for this. Coat the cleaned area of the knuckle with anti seize. Re-install the wheel speed sensor into the knuckle making sure that it is fully seated. Re-install remaining parts in reverse order of removal. Test drive and verify the repair.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
Shep

====== ====== "Shep" top posted:

Actually in the northern zone of the country there was a recall for this issue, nice work AAR."

======== ========

Shep, We had a meeting while you went to the bathroom.......

and what we decided was is was is..........see.........

We'd like you to offer a retraction of the above statement untill such time as is was is, that you can provide an operational link to confirm the above statement to be factual.

~:~ MarshMonster ~drops a mushroom in sheps coffee cup........hands him a new work order~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Marsh, whether in jest or for real you are correct, the recall started in

Reply to
Shep

Thanks for the reply aarcuda. Got sidetracked on working on my truck as the OL's car & my brother's car have more pressing issues but it sounds like a snap to do with your explanation. Thanks again,

Reply to
Repairman