ac fan problem

Concerning my 90 C1500.The ac fan changes speed [ lo med high]but the air flow from the vents seem restricted.

Reply to
meangene

coult be a hole in the duct system.

Reply to
Justin Mahn

sounds like there is a bunch of garbage and debris built up on the evaperator. Common thing to have happen considering the age of the vehicle and especially if its parked under a tree alot. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I appeciate the info,what do you think my best cleaning option is?

Reply to
meangene

Thats the problem. The garbage will be on the left side of the core as you face it from the front of the vehicle. And of course its the right side of the core that is exposed if you remove the cover from the housing as if to replace it. The other thing is if its debris from an Oak tree, or some other hard wood, the leaves have a considerable amount of tanic acid content, and over time this will eat the core(Does this sound like I have had some personal experiance in failures of this sort, like just last summer on my 91) You can remove the side cover from the housing and gently slide the evap clear enough to clean it, but given the cost of a new core, I would probably replace it, the acumulater, the orfice tube, flush the bear out of it and convert to R-134 with the proper oil. If it has the original R-4 compressor, I would probably replace it as well with a new, not rebuilt one from Delphi. I think I paid less than 150 for a new Delphi compressor and clutch with the correct R-134 oil three years ago from an outfit called Tropical International. So parts wise, you would be around 350 with a compressor, 150 with out the compressor, a bit more if you replace the tensioner and belt too.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning