Acceleration

To improve acceleration do you adjust the timing? If so how do you do that? If not, what do you do? My truck (95 k1500) came with the camper package, so would it be geared more for towing?
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:47:34 -0400, "saucytony"

Yes you can advance timing as your 95 TBI engine allows you to but you also need to use more than 87 octane fuel too. Prior to the TBI engine and its knocik control system, GM limited CR to 8.5 or less to limit knock potentail with 87 octane fuel. With the birth of the TBI motor, CR was raised above 9 to 1 and knock control was used to keep consumers happy with 87 octane still but using 87 octane limits potentail of engine because when you retard spark, you retard power and MPG. You can try setting timing to about 6 to 8 degrees BTDC and using 89 or better octane fuel and you will feel a real differnce (I would suggest 91 or better towing) but if you want to advance timing and still use 87 octane you are wasting your efforts. Stock timing is around TDC and it is set that way together with knock sensor to help tolerate 87 octane fuel. BTW, to det timeing, you will need a timing light and you will need to disconnect a connector on firewall that disable electronic advance and a distributor wrench to lossen distributor as the bolt holding it can be a pill to get too with a normal wrench. Furthermore on the trailer package, all is not as it seems as some do not come with the best posible axle ratio but there will be option codes in glovebox that will say something like GU6, GT4 or GT5 which translates to a 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratio in that order. A GU6 is a poor towing ratio of any serious weight and a GT4 is better and a GT5 is the best. BTW, I have a 89 4x4 V1500 burb with that 350 TBI engine that I bought new and it is still pretty cherry and has over 180K mile on it from towing and traveling cross country and I have feed it 93 octane for many years and it runs really well and it get surprizing good MPG too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
The snoman is the shit!
and you are the turd he shit. old john
Hello, saucytony! You wrote on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:36:09 -0400:
s> The snoman is the shit!
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Mean!
But absolutely hillarious!
RK
Take it easy guys. He just appeared this September and has no idea of Snoballs crap. Do a little educating prior to flaming please...
Tony the links below may bring you up to speed. ----------------------------------- :::::::::Snojob Follies::::::::: SBJ: Dumb brake question http://tinyurl.com/2ya3wo
SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer?? http://tinyurl.com/2j44zv
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01 http://tinyurl.com/2okyfx -----------------------------------
says...

Thanks I'll check them out.
First of all, that doesn't even make sense. second of all, after you mange to remove the refinish kings dick from your ass you may have time to pursue higher education.
I said what,
to stir up your ire?
I do this for a living.
Do you think you're a super mechanic?
RK

No no, I'm reffering to the stupid burn you seemed to enjoy so much. I actually think your advice is some of the best I've gotten... thats why he's the catcher lol.
So you think I'm his batboy/pitcher?
LOL
You have to learn to laugh at flames, especially ones that were powered by a flatulent sphincter to begin with.
RK

lol Seeing as how I'm the super mechanic you thought is was claiming to be, can we get back to my truck?
Sure!
Ask away.
RK

I always use 92 octane or at least 89. where are the things I have to adjust located? Where will the connector on the fire wall be located?
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:42:30 -0400, "saucytony"

The connector should be on drivers side firewal it will be a single wire in a inline connector that has a blue green rubber gasket seal between connector halfs. The bolt at the base of distributor on intake manifold and on passanger side just a lttle ahead of the distributor on center line from left to right. Turning the distributor CCW will advance timing but you need to do it with a timing light. The timing marks are veiwed from front top drivers side of engine on damper behind crank pulley. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
.. but I should not go by those marks?
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:59:12 -0400, "saucytony"
Those "marks" go from about 2 ATDC to about 14 BTDC ----------------- TheSnoMan.com