Advice 2001 Suburban Power Windows

Hello All,
I had an episode a week and a half ago (posted previously in this group) where my rear driver's side power window stopped working for about 15
minutes. Since then it has worked fine. I brought it to the dealer and they want to replace the window motor in that door. I have a one-year extended warranty with a $100 deductible and that's what it would cost me to fix it.
My question is should I pay the $100 and get a working window fixed or should I let it ride? I guess I'm just afraid of getting caught somewhere with the window down and me not being able to work it.
Thanks, Brown
Advice 2001 Suburban Power Windows Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 23, 2003, 9:02am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@BrownWeed.com (BrownWeed)
Hello All, I had an episode a week and a half ago (posted previously in this group) where my rear driver's side power window stopped working for about 15 minutes. Since then it has worked fine. I brought it to the dealer and they want to replace the window motor in that door. I have a one-year extended warranty with a $100 deductible and that's what it would cost me to fix it.
My question is................
should I pay the $100 and get a working window fixed or should I let it ride?
I guess I'm just afraid of getting caught somewhere with the window down and me not being able to work it.
Thanks, Brown ........................................ Brown, How much longer do you have on the warranty?
If you can take the hit.......and they will garauntee your symptom is fixed....by all means fix it if your concern is keeping you up at nights.
If however, the window seems to be operational over periods of time, and your "personal fund investments" are needed for more "domestic" issues...........put the repair off untill a firm need for the repair is established.
You never know when that wheel bearing or driveline is going to need some attention....which will allow the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.
as a side note...... just prior to your warranty running out, get an independent facility to give the vehical an extremely "solid" going-over. Be sure to tell them about your warranty coverage, and provide them with policy.........you'll be suprised at what you're going to need repaired under warranty .......that you didn't realize was a potential problem.
good luck...and let us know how it turns out, Scrib Abel
there are two aproaches to take when giving a customer an "Estimate On Repairs"..........................................
know that you know, that you know what the fix is......and tell him from experience what the "add ons" maybe.......
or.............
LIE.......
Thanks Scribb,
<<< How much longer do you have on the warranty?
I bought the car used with a 1-year GM warranty. 11 months left.
<<< if your concern is keeping you up at nights
Not keeping me up nights, but I'd rather pocket the $100 if the problem isn't likely to happen again.
<<< get an independent facility to give the vehical an <<< extremely "solid" going-over <<< you'll be suprised at what you're going to need <<< repaired under warranty
I'm not following you here. Can you give me some examples as to what types of things are you referring to?
Re: Advice 2001 Suburban Power Windows snipped-for-privacy@BrownWeed.com (BrownWeed) was asking for advice on the need to have his window fixed under warranty.....prompting this reply from Scrib Abell.............
[...]
good luck...and let us know how it turns out, Scrib Abel ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Thanks Scribb, I bought the car used with a 1-year GM warranty. 11 months left.
Not keeping me up nights, but I'd rather pocket the $100 if the problem isn't likely to happen again.
I'm not following you here. Can you give me some examples as to what types of things are you referring to? (referring to Scribs advice on independent council before the warranty runs out )
Thanks, Brown ......................................................................... Brown, Before your warranty is expired, you should ALWAYS have your vehical inspected for any repairs that may be needed, that the warranty will cover. It's basic common sense.
A good tech can find a hub bearing going out with a stethescope, that you're not going to here riding down the road untill it's so bad it scares you. A good tech will be able to determine if eminate transmission failure is evident by a simple process of ....test drive, scan ECM, and transmission service. Something that may cause you a problem up to 2 years down the road, that can be justified as a warranty repair now. A good tech can identify suspension and steering component items that are worn enough to justify replacement. Though you may not feel or notice the ramifications untill well after the warranty is expired.
There is more......but you get the picture.
Items on a vehical can be worn, weak, or deteriorated enough to be justifiably replaced under a warranty contract. But these same items may not be noticed by the owner untill the effects of wear and age are so dramatic as to cause "extreme symptoms".
You purchased a warranty contract.....use it to your advantage, not the contractors advantage.
hopefully informative,
Scrib Abell ~~wouldn't buy stock.......knowing it was going to go down.............but would buy stock if he was fairly sure it was going up~~
(as a side note...Scrib likes his weed a little green.........with red hairs in it)
there are two aproaches to take when giving a customer an "Estimate On Repairs"..........................................
know that you know, that you know what the fix is......and tell him from experience what the "add ons" maybe.......
<<< Before your warranty is expired, you should ALWAYS <<< have your vehical inspected for any repairs that may be <<< needed, that the warranty will cover
Scribb,
My understanding is that the warranty only covers items that are not normal "wear and tear". It seems to me that the items you mentioned fall into this category and would not be covered. I will read the fine print though to make sure.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Brown