Advise needed for buying locker

Hi

I got a 78 chev 1/2 ton 4x4, I want to buy a good ,but of course cheap, locker for my rear and front diff's

Can anyone sugest a good one to me?

Thanks

Reply to
mathijs derks

a Lock-Right is about the cheapest thing you'll find that's worth bothering with, the only thing cheaper is a spool. they run about $400.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Lincoln locker. Find a welder with a few extra sticks of 7018 get him to weld the rear end solid. Cheapest you're gonna find. Don't try that with the front though.

Reply to
Demon

Detroit locker for the rear............. You better not put a locker in front if you're building a trial rig. I would suggest a selectable locker or limited slip up front.

Reply to
Mad Dog

Lincoln locker works great "off road" On the street you run the risk of snapping axles and/or spinning out in the rain or slick pavement.

Reply to
Mad Dog

I was just answering the "cheap" part ;)

Reply to
Demon

I am a welder by trade, and welding up the front end is not what I wanted. I am thing about it though

Axels shouldn't snap just like that

Reply to
mathijs derks

You're right axles should'nt snap like that............but most people that i have noticed install larger tires than their axles are rated for and run into problems quickly. GM 10 bolt/dana 44 axles are rated for no larger than 35" tires, yet i see "Billy Bigrigger" strolling down the hiway with 44" super swampers and a 12" lift bolted up to 10 bolt axles. If they run a spool or a locker with over 400 lbs. of preload chances are they will be hearing Snap, Crackle and Pop. "It's only a matter of time"

Reply to
Mad Dog