Aftermarket Wheel Sizing

Guys
Need help understanding wheel sizing regarding amount of bolts and bolt circle diameter.
Example: 16" X 8" 6 X 5 1/2"
The 1st number I understand: wheel diameter
The 2nd number I understand: wheel width
Does the number 6 indicate how many lugs are on the rotor? Does the number 5 1/2 mean bolt circle diameter? center to center of each bolt?
Thanks Pindar

As I understand it the 5 1/2 is the offset... how far in from the rim the center of the wheel is in the width, If you look at some oftermarket wheels the wheels can have the center spokes set almost flush with the outer rim of the wheel, all the way to being almost flush with the inner rim of the wheels.
rhys

wheels
of
Nope, 51/2 isn't the offset it's the bolt pattern. 6 x 51/2 indicates a 6 bolt pattern, with 5 1/2" between t opposing bolts (measured center-to-center).
Doc

bolt
the
rim
I knew someone would correct things if I got it wrong :)
How do you tell the offset without taking a ruler to the wheel then?
rhys

6
Most places will specify the wheel offset somewhere, as the same wheel is usually available in several different offsets. Per way of finding out the offset of your current wheels, gotta yank one and measure it yourself as it usually isn't stamped anywhere on the wheel. Most will have diameter and width (16x8, etc.) stamped on the inside of the wheel, but I've never seen bolt pattern or offset stamped in the.
Doc

A better way would be to say it would be that it has 6 holes on a 5 & 1/2" *bolt circle*. (Measuring opposing bolts doesn't work too hot when you're dealing with an odd-numbered pattern.)
Thanks gentlemen
Pindar