Air Bag Light, 97 GMC

How do you reset the "Check Air Bag" dash light? Vehicle is a 97 GMC Jimmy, 4wd, 192K. All connections from the front impact sensors to the steering
wheel have been checked and there does not appear to be any issues with them. No other lights are on. I want to reset it to see if it was just a one time thing or something else. Vehicle has never been in collision or anything that would have impacted this system. TIA GM
Do you really want to reset it? Or slam your face into it if it does not work? Check engine is one thing, but air bag is something I would definitely have checked out.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"GM" < snipped-for-privacy@att.net.no.spam.net> wrote in message
Yes, Why not, if it is a hard coded error then it will come back. That in itself is a troubleshooting method. TIA GM

GM wrote:

The ONLY way to reset an air bag warning is to take it to a shop with the proper equipment and have them check the code that set the light. They need a dealer level scan tool with all the functions. Then either you can repair the problem or pay them to do it. The air bag light is NOT like the CEL or the ABS light. When it is on the air bags will NOT work PERIOD. It may be a broken clock spring, bad sensor, bad air bag module or something else.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Price is about right with the labor, awkward spot to get to it and the diagnosis, I would get a guarantee this is going to fix it also, it is an unusual part to fail.

-
GM wrote:

It is the sensing and data module. It watches the airbag sensors, seat belts, brake light switch and speed sensor and a couple other items. It is not a real common failure item though. It could be that the connector is going bad on the module. Price wise that isn't out of line. It is not real easy to work on and you need to be able to reprogram the BCM to recognize the new unit.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York