Air Bag Light, 97 GMC

How do you reset the "Check Air Bag" dash light? Vehicle is a 97 GMC Jimmy,

4wd, 192K. All connections from the front impact sensors to the steering wheel have been checked and there does not appear to be any issues with them. No other lights are on. I want to reset it to see if it was just a one time thing or something else. Vehicle has never been in collision or anything that would have impacted this system. TIA GM
Reply to
GM

Do you really want to reset it? Or slam your face into it if it does not work? Check engine is one thing, but air bag is something I would definitely have checked out.

Reply to
Bill

The ONLY way to reset an air bag warning is to take it to a shop with the proper equipment and have them check the code that set the light. They need a dealer level scan tool with all the functions. Then either you can repair the problem or pay them to do it. The air bag light is NOT like the CEL or the ABS light. When it is on the air bags will NOT work PERIOD. It may be a broken clock spring, bad sensor, bad air bag module or something else.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, Why not, if it is a hard coded error then it will come back. That in itself is a troubleshooting method. TIA GM

Reply to
GM

Thanks Steve for info, Took it in. According to them (Chevy Dealer) it is a bad SDM unit (they told me diag computer when asked but is this not the black box data recorder?). Cost is $475 installed. Will have it back tonight. Now the question is, Have I been hosed in the costs? Sounds to be to much based upon what I can pull up in gmparts direct, but I guess you have to have the durn computer to read it. TIA GM

Reply to
GM

Reply to
Shep

It is the sensing and data module. It watches the airbag sensors, seat belts, brake light switch and speed sensor and a couple other items. It is not a real common failure item though. It could be that the connector is going bad on the module. Price wise that isn't out of line. It is not real easy to work on and you need to be able to reprogram the BCM to recognize the new unit.

Reply to
Steve W.