Air Clean upgrade possible??

I have a stock 1994 GMC K1500 350 TBI with stock air cleaner assy, dual studs for hold down and the plastic ring with hose connection for the crankcase ventilation connection on the top of the valve cover.
Question: Is there a replacement assembly made to replace the stock closed air cleaner assy with an open sided free flowing assy, to include the top cover with two holes for the hold down wingnuts? If so, can someone post a link? This would eliminate the air box et al.
Additionally, would having an open-sided cleaner with a decent paper filter element make much of a difference in mileage and HP?
Any info and advice is apprectiated.
Thanks. Andy
An open element is much better.You might notice a slight differance on the pedal,but don`t expect a lot.Maybe just a touch on the mpg.If your looking for bigger gains,you'll need to do some motor work.
P.S. DON'T USE A K&N!!!!!!

How do you equate "much better" with "a slight difference"? H

much better air filter equates a slight difference in performance sort of like what Bill said

Oh.......well that explains everything ~pfffft~ H
I guess I wasn`t thinking when I posted. Pretty much the only way you will see any gains,would be on a dyno,or at the race track.
Andy: I am asking the same thing but we are not getting any takers?????
I have a stock 1994 GMC K1500 350 TBI with stock air cleaner assy, dual studs for hold down and the plastic ring with hose connection for the crankcase ventilation connection on the top of the valve cover.
Question: Is there a replacement assembly made to replace the stock closed air cleaner assy with an open sided free flowing assy, to include the top cover with two holes for the hold down wingnuts? If so, can someone post a link? This would eliminate the air box et al.
Additionally, would having an open-sided cleaner with a decent paper filter element make much of a difference in mileage and HP?
Any info and advice is apprectiated.
Thanks. Andy

unless you're willing to either drill an open air cleaner for the dual studs, or fabricate an adapter to a single stud, then the answer is no, nobody makes one. if you're willing to do either step above, any 10" or 14" flat bottomed air cleaner will work w/ a 5 1/8" neck.
-Bret