air conditioning problem

This winter my heater's blower began to intermittently stop, sometimes coming back on by itself in a few seconds, sometimes in a couple of minutes, sometimes several minutes. It will do the same thing in max cool air mode. I bought the truck this winter, so really never had an opportunity to check how the air conditioner worked, but ran it a couple of times when the temps were a little higher...in the 40's or 50's and it seemed to blow out air quite cold enough. Yesterday it was near 60, but the AC air coming out the vents never got cool, and of course the blower still periodically stops and restarts as if there is a loose connection somewhere. I got an air conditioner testing gauge out of the garage and put it on the low side and it registered too high of pressure, "in the red." Does anyone know what I could have going on here? Are these two anomilies related? I did notice when I was checking the pressure, that the compressor never did kick in, so I probably shouldn't expect that I should have cold air if that doesn't happen.

Reply to
Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black

Your low pressure gauge will read high if the compressor isn't running. You may be low on refrigerant, get it checked. That said, it shouldn't cause the blower to cut in and out. H

Reply to
Hairy

What year??

Some years have a problem with burning connectors as mine did.

2 places to check. One connector is behind the control head. Six pin Molex plug I believe, and the other is behind the glove box, on my rig both burnt to a crisp about 8 months apart from each other. To ck the ac you should be using a professional style gauge. A great AC resource is ACFORUMS.COM. Good Luck JRE
Reply to
Mastermech