Air Filter

I need to change my air filter,so what would be the best stock replacement for a 97 chev 1/2 ton?

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:28:19 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill S) wrote:

WIX
-Bret

I'll second that.
Adair
Why are they so much better than the rest? What`s the cost?
1/4 Mile Junkies
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:36:56 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill S) wrote:

they are just a really well made filter that is of reasonable cost and are easy to get. you can buy the Wix brand at most independant auto parts stores and WIX manufactures both NAPA and Carquest's A line filters (Napa Gold and Carquest Premium Blue)
it should cost you about 20 bucks.
-Bret
The two best filters are WIX and Baldwin. Baldwin is more an industrial line and hard to find in some areas. If you can't find WIX buy Purolator's Premium Plus line. They are very good as well.
By the way "FRAM = JUNK".

Air Filter Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Mar 4, 2004, 5:28pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (BillS) I need to change my air filter,so what would be the best stock replacement for a 97 chev 1/2 ton? its only an air filter any brand is fine. -pete
(Bill S) I need to change my air filter,so what would be the best stock replacement for a 97 chev 1/2 ton? its only an air filter any brand is fine. -pete
It's only an air filter? Well then if they aren't important just leave it out. If you knew anything about filter paper you wouldn't have said that.
How bad are FRAM paper filters? By LOOKS they appear to have just as many folds and be of the same type of paper than all the ones I've personally ever seen. They look like they would seal just as well to the top/bottom of the housing and come out plenty dirty? Is it that they let too much through, or not enough?
~KJ~
(Bill S)

Actually their air filters are probably a decant a filter as most, so my statement was really unfair. It's their oil filters that lack quality. When I worked in the automotive field we used to cut apart new oil filters with a pipe cutter to look at the way they are made. The Fram oil filters used about half as many pleats as the WIX oil filters, the bypass spring was a piece of spring steel instead of an actual coil type spring. The pleats were held together by a string rather than crimped on either end by steel. They just weren't contracted very well. We never cut any of their premium filter apart (black case) as they didn't make them when I was doing this over 15 years ago. I realize that they may have gotten better but there were other filters such as WIX back then that used the heavier duty components. Don't get me wrong there are many other filter companies that make them like Fram, such as Valvoline & AC to name a couple. And they are adequate or they wouldn't be selling them. I just prefer to put higher quality parts on my vehicles, I do 90% of my own work because I want it done right and I know from working in the auto field for 10 years that a good part of the mechanics out there will fix the cars but won't go that little extra inch that the owner will.
My 2 cents anyway.
Brian
(Bill S)

it
that.
Funny how supertech at wal*mart is of higher quality than fram and costs less... but that's the brand I use (and they don't make an air filter yet). Yup. I'm cheap, but I may change brands with my new baby...
http://home.comcast.net/~precisiondata/Jimmy_01.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~precisiondata/Jimmy_02.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~precisiondata/Jimmy_03.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~precisiondata/Jimmy_04.jpg