Air pump question.

I have an 88 s10 2.8l 4x4 and the air pump seized. I found a shorter belt which allows me to just by pass it but my question is what does the pump do?
If I plug the hole in exhaust manifold and by pass the pump will it still run well or what would or could the consequences be? Will it idel high or kick and sputter, just what would it do?

try the short belt first. if it runs well keep it that way. won't hurt anything to try