altenator problem???

Page 1 of 2
I have a Snow Bear Snowplow that operates on an electric winch and when I lift or lower the plow everthing dims and the gauge drops. It takes a few minutes after I'm done plowing for the gauge to return to normal with all
lights,ect. off.The altenator(stock) is just a year old and I have a brand new 1000 amp dual post Interstate Battery. No other problems with charging under "normal" conditions. Do I need a higher output altenator or is it a waste of money? I have a '95 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.0 4X4.....Thanks for any help...

You hit the nail right on the head, you need the hi-output alt.. With the plow set up and winch the OE alt is not "strong" enough to provide the juice needed to run the vehicle PLUS all the extras.

You hit the nail right on the head, you need the hi-output alt.. With the plow set up and winch the OE alt is not "strong" enough to provide the juice needed to run the vehicle PLUS all the extras.
How did you determine how much current his winch draws? Just wondering... How did you know how he has it connected?
Al

Where's Snoman when you really need him?
The fact that the lights dim when he uses the snowplow winch and the extra lights associated with it indicate that the alt. can't keep up with the load. The alt's of the '95 era would barely keep up with the stock vehicle as it was and he's running at slow speeds while plowing so it's not putting out full power anyway. Remember, in addition to the winch and the extra set of headlights and maybe some extra marker lights that since it's cold, he's probably got the heater fan blowing full blast too(and if running in the defrost mode, the a/c clutch is also energized ). -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

I don't know how he has it connected, or the exact amount of current he is drawing, but I do know from many years working on auto electronic systems that in general, the OE alts (unless it is a factory installed hi-output) are just large enough to support the "normal" vehicle systems with out the addition of a heavy draw device like a winch or plow set up.
Instead of just nit picking my reply which is 100% correct, how about you provide ussful feed back or stay off my reply?

I don't know how he has it connected, or the exact amount of current he is drawing, but I do know from many years working on auto electronic systems that in general, the OE alts (unless it is a factory installed hi-output) are just large enough to support the "normal" vehicle systems with out the addition of a heavy draw device like a winch or plow set up.
Instead of just nit picking my reply which is 100% correct, how about you provide ussful feed back or stay off my reply?
Thanks azwiley ... I kinda thought that but just wanted to be sure before throwing money at it...With ALL the snow this year it seems I'm plowing everyday...Turns out that my Snowbear Snowplow that I got last year will pay for itself before this year is over...LOL
Al , the winch that lifts and lowers the plow is connected to the top posts of my DUAL POST battery which I thought was obvious by saying I had a DUAL POST battery but perhaps I should've been more clear.... My bad...LOL

I don't know how he has it connected, or the exact amount of current he is drawing, but I do know from many years working on auto electronic systems that in general, the OE alts (unless it is a factory installed hi-output) are just large enough to support the "normal" vehicle systems with out the addition of a heavy draw device like a winch or plow set up.
Instead of just nit picking my reply which is 100% correct, how about you provide ussful feed back or stay off my reply?
Egad Azwiley1, besides providing a reasonable reply to the OP and defending our country with 20 some years in the US Army, what have you done for us lately? I wish you, your family, and all you know a prosperous 2008 and beyond.

Well, I am at work every day taking care of our Vets, does that count? Thank you my friend, I wish the same for you and your family. How are things going for you so far this year.

Well, I am at work every day taking care of our Vets, does that count? Thank you my friend, I wish the same for you and your family. How are things going for you so far this year.
Life has been good. Work on the other hand has been hectic. So many projects were put on hold because lots of people were gone during the holidays. Now it's "catch up" time.

I don't know how he has it connected, or the exact amount of current he is drawing, but I do know from many years working on auto electronic systems that in general, the OE alts (unless it is a factory installed hi-output) are just large enough to support the "normal" vehicle systems with out the addition of a heavy draw device like a winch or plow set up.
Instead of just nit picking my reply which is 100% correct, how about you provide ussful feed back or stay off my reply?
Hey, I was just asking how you came to that conclusion. His truck should have came with a 105 amp alternator. He could just have a loose belt. If he was to slap on a giant alternator, what about the fusible link? Guess my crystal ball is just foggy.
Al
hi just a thought,i have three plow trucks with stock alternators with duel batterys in them all never have a problem with charging system,just make sure they both are the same size.
On Jan 5, 9:21am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jeff Guenther) wrote:

What type of trucks tho Jeff? If they are 2500/3500's of oil burners they have a larger stock alt to begin with.
well i didnt want to get into the brand of trucks,but here you go,79F150,,50 amp alt,,90 F150,75 amp alt,93 F250 75 amp alt ,sorry chevy guys,,it just makes sence to run duel bats with that much pull on the alt with one bat.
Dual batteries.
I think that is the trick.

Bill wrote:

With an Isolator Between them .

OK, why would you need an isolator?
Al
Big Al wrote:

Unless both batteries are identical you have problems without an isolator.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Thank you for explaining it Better to the KIDS .. And if your not running down the Main Battery, The LIGHTS will not DIM

--
I Use Mailwasher / Spamcop
To report all spammers
Big Al wrote:

An Isolator is actually a Retifier.. it lets voltage Flow only one WAY
you attach plow wiring to the 2nd battery . when you access the plow it Drains Current from the 2nd battery only ( lights will not Dim. ) and the alternator amp flow will still continue chare Battery 1 as well as Battery 2 Without an ISolator , You usually COOK ( Boil )one of the Batteries . Some will even Blow up !
in the 70's 80' early 90's all my Tow trucks used ELECTRIC Winches . I learned the HARD way ..