Amount of power required.

Hi-lo news group.
Just a stupid question on my part.
Over here in New England today I was passed (rather rudely) by a 1995-ish long bed extended cab 1500 chevy pickup. The truck appeared
to be of the 2x4 persuasion (judging by the rake of the body) with everything stock from what I could see (even tires). Except when he gave it the gas, the thing really went. So much so, it looked like he had hydraulics. I don't think he was ramping up fully, because his wheels never *really* spun - but the front tires were *almost* coming off the ground.
Just wondering how much HP you guys would think would need to be under the hood so he could do that?
I need to know so I can be just as much of an asshole (he's now my new hero).
~TLGM/KJ
He probably just had bad front shocks.
--
Diamond Jim
"The Old Devil Dog"

The family has a 1991 Buick Skylark that you can do that with. But it appeared that he wasn't bouncing/floating. They appeared to be working. Even though the exhaust looked stock the thing really barked. I think it was a monster caged in a truck - I really do.
And even if it wasn't - what would I need to make that happen!? 300HP, 400HP, 1700HP?
~TLGM/KJ
Yep, I think 1700HP would do the trick. You'll be able to pass everything on the road but the gas stations. <G>

Depends on what other tricks were done but a high torque 383 with about 400 ponies would probably make the front light if you ran a 4:10 gear or so in the rear. Run a shock that has low extension and high compression valves in it and plant the weight on the rear end and go like a striped assed ape.. My old street ride was set up that way for a while.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

My 383 was set up for TORQUE. On the dyno it turned 431 HP at 5500 and 515 Ft.Lbs. of torque at 4200. This was with all off the shelf parts just bolted together. When I tossed some more money and time into it I ended up with over another 100HP and topped 600 Ft.Lbs. at 4800 on pump gas. Would be easy to get better numbers with EFI and current hardware out there.
--
Steve Williams

"KJ" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Holly shit. Me want.... got a 350 too so I can make it a stroker 383.....
~KJ/TLGM

He probably replaced the old 350 with a Duramax and was just trying it out.

how fast were you traveling when he punched it? low gearing at 25 mph will not require much HP. but if you were doing 60mph, he would need a little more power. I have seen guys on the freeway with a tricked out Duramax doing 35, then floor it and spun the back tires. did his truck sound different? i.e., an after market exhaust. or a whine from under the hood that sounded strange? If not, it could have been a chipped 5.3 with low gears in the diff. If you want to return the favor, get a Whipple, Flowmaster, and some 4.10 gears. that should piss them off nicely. ;-)

5.3 in a 95'ish truck? Don't think so.
Doc

whine
4.10
5.3 one year, 5.7 the next, then 5.2, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6,... why cant they just stick with one size?
Engineers are like women:
They like size variety!
Refinish King

Engineers? or Marketing? Just like other areas in life, "My engine is bigger than yours!"
Ford has a 4.6, dodge has a 4.7, Chevy has a 4.8. ford has a 5.0, dodge, 5.2, Chevy 5.3 Ford 5.4 Chevy 5.7 dodge 5.9 ford Chevy, 6.0. do I see a trend? oh, don't forget the 7.2, 7.4 and 8.0
did I miss any?

yep, the Vortec 8100
-Bret

bigger
dodge,
ah, thank you! I knew I missed one or three...
Here, I found a link to some info for the next gen Diesel GM will be putting in the next Silverado. http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl / that should give them enough of a power advantage over Ford and Dodge. ;-)

I'd say about 40MPH

It sounded like a caged beast. The exhaust looked normal, and sounded like it was trying to muffle the fact that it was a beast. I couldn't hear any specifics from the hood - like I said he passed me rather abruptly/rudely.

I have the Flowmaster. Should probably go to 4.10 or shorter when I get my 35's.....
~KJ/TLGM