Anyone in here have experience with wheel spacers?

Page 2 of 3
Had a '79 Dodge van bought new back in the vanning days. Ran a 15x8 Fenton S/S wheel on the front (Cragar S/S clone) with a 1/2 thick spacer to clear the caliper. Just had to have the deep dish look.
It was a uni-lug wheel. Used the longer lug nuts with the NHRA spec. hole in the end lug nuts and never had a problem in the 160k miles the wheels where on the truck. The spec. lug nuts have the open cap as so inspectors can easily verify you have longer studs installed without removing them. That was then anyway. That van also got a set of big Hellwig sway bars fore n' aft and corner limits where explored on a regular basis by dogging Beemers and other sporty cars down off ramps. Zero problems with wheels loosening up in those 160k miles.
--
John

Finally a positive comment, seems I have a chance eh? Took er' out for a rip today and they stayed nice and tight at 105 ft/lbs.
Doc
I would try to find steel ones Doc. I can't believe you couldn't find a pair of steelies for that truck? For winter wheels that's what I would have done, what $25 brand new at the 'zone with them thar fancy red OR blue pin stripe round the edge....
GMC Gremlin

hole

3 things:
1. I did get steel wheels, they are just nicely chromed! 2. You obviously aren't married: they had to be "pretty." I tried to get the black Cragars w/ red pinstripe for $30/each but the wifey had other plans. 3. The wheels you refer to don't have the correct backspacing either.
Doc

Ya women suck.... so do mini trucks.... I'd offer you the stock steelies on my S10 but I finally had it towed away, and I cleaned out a spot in my cellar and had my entire jimmy in the cellar last night!! So psyched....!
GMC Gremlin
"Doc" wrote:

You need to work on her training ;-)
My wife got plain black steel rims for her Grand Am along with a set of WalMart tire covers.
Good 'nuff, I say.
--
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.

I'm not partial too wheel spacers of any kind. The "better" kind bolt directly too the axle, and then the wheel bolts to the spacer. I'm not really partial of anything that has force applied to it and is held by "sandwich" (lift blocks for example).
GMC Gremlin

be

Yeah, but with those you have to grind down the OE studs flush with the new surface to get the wheels on, making reinstallation of the stock wheels impossible. The minumum they come in is 1", and I only needed 1/2".
Regarding the sandwich, that's how your wheels are held on anyways!
Doc
So it's better to sandwich to things? You should know I've had nothing but problems with my wheel/lugs!
GMC Gremlin

new

What are they made out of and how are they designed???
GMC Gremlin

is

How are they holding up?
GMC Gremlin

and

Damned good place for them, Doc... I'd hate to have my wife driving around with them.. and you probably feel the same about them, now.. nothing is as important as the family's safety..

I'll second that.
Brian

Exactly why I took em' off my friend.
Doc

go redneck, Doc... weld the wheels on.. *g*
Well, I was hoping someone would say where to get steel spacers... been looking for some to go on the back of my '86 Silverado, but can't find nothing but those crappie aluminum jobs. Any suggestions?

The only steel spacers I have found are the hubcentric spacers. They start at 1" and go up to 4" or so. The actually bolt to your existing studs, then have their own set of studs that the wheel bolts to. The factory studs have to be ground down to get the wheel on. They're pricey, cheapest I found was $79/each.
Doc