Anyone know a fix for steering lock problems

It's a 2001 Silverado

My steering lock has NOT engaged, and coincidentally, the ignition switch won't turn. So my truck is sitting in the driveway

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this without a tow truck OR a ball-pean hammer?

Reply to
Derek

Pika

. . snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca (Derek) writes.....

It's a 2001 Silverado

My steering lock has NOT engaged, and coincidentally, the ignition switch won't turn. So my truck is sitting in the driveway

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this without a tow truck OR a ball-pean hammer?

======= ======= THIS IS A TEST ONLY A TEST in case of a real emergency.... contact a technician

Set the parking brake!!

Crawl under the drivers side of the truck. (under the door area)

Pop the shifter linkage off the tranny with a big arse screw driver.

Crawl out from under the truck.

Put the key in the ignition switch.

Shove the shifter up and down and see if the key will turn.

NO ??????

oh well......pop yer shifter cable back on cuz that wasn't it.

MarshMonster ~you could just stick a floor jack under the rear end and get the same results without having to pop the linkage loose~ ========== ==========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Naw, it's definitely in park.

I've got the plastic cover off of the steering column. Where do I drill, chisel or crazy glue??

Reply to
Derek

The fix was CHEAP after figured out how to get the wheel off the column. The lock cylinder had a defective spring on the bar which is engaged under all circumstances EXCEPT when the key is in the cylinder and turned. Solution: either a new cylinder, or, remove the bar so that any chevy key will work.

Delco service center solution: replace steering column with a used one.

Chev dealer solution: "dunno, it could be just about anything" (translation - hold your pocket open with both hands)

Reply to
Derek