Anyone know a fix for steering lock problems

It's a 2001 Silverado
My steering lock has NOT engaged, and coincidentally, the ignition switch won't turn. So my truck is sitting in the driveway
Anyone have an idea of how to fix this without a tow truck OR a ball-pean hammer?
I am not sure but what happen to my cousin truck his he could not turn off and I found that the wire leading from the "TOW HAUL" button which is a Orange wire was holding back the ignition from turning off plus it had a hard time taking out the keys at time when I moved the wire back and forth I was able to more the switch. But that what happen in our case so you can check it out if it's the same or not.

. . snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca (Derek) writes.....
It's a 2001 Silverado
My steering lock has NOT engaged, and coincidentally, the ignition switch won't turn. So my truck is sitting in the driveway
Anyone have an idea of how to fix this without a tow truck OR a ball-pean hammer?
============THIS IS A TEST ONLY A TEST in case of a real emergency.... contact a technician
Set the parking brake!!
Crawl under the drivers side of the truck. (under the door area)
Pop the shifter linkage off the tranny with a big arse screw driver.
Crawl out from under the truck.
Put the key in the ignition switch.
Shove the shifter up and down and see if the key will turn.
NO ??????
oh well......pop yer shifter cable back on cuz that wasn't it.
MarshMonster ~you could just stick a floor jack under the rear end and get the same results without having to pop the linkage loose~ ==================
Naw, it's definitely in park.
I've got the plastic cover off of the steering column. Where do I drill, chisel or crazy glue??
(Derek)

The fix was CHEAP after figured out how to get the wheel off the column. The lock cylinder had a defective spring on the bar which is engaged under all circumstances EXCEPT when the key is in the cylinder and turned. Solution: either a new cylinder, or, remove the bar so that any chevy key will work.
Delco service center solution: replace steering column with a used one.
Chev dealer solution: "dunno, it could be just about anything" (translation - hold your pocket open with both hands)