Are 350 Engines Interchangeable??

If I wanted to buy a 350 to biuld up to eventually put into my truck, does it have to be thew same year as my truck (1995) or will any 350 just slide in?

Reply to
Dunamis via CarKB.com

Well...yes...and no.

I think, dont quote me on this, that your truck will take an engine from 1988 through 1998. (bolt in, with no alterations)

Over the last 20 years engines have morphed from the 350 of old. Back in the day a 350 was a 350 and completely interchangable. Now you have to check and see when they changed the design. Im not sure, someone will chime in with better details, but when they went to the throttle body, I think the head design changed too, and the throttle body requires the computer.

You can retro fit an old 350 to your truck, but it means doing away with the computer and swapping the tranny to the old turbo, and a possible driveshaft alteration.

I think its safe to say...do your homework.

Reply to
Shelldigger

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/chevrolet-trucks/200805/1>

the key is.... exactly what do you want to do. If you want the engine to mate with your transmission and electronics its best to stick with the same year range that your engine was made.

A couple of things come to mind that would potentially cause you problems if you ran an older 350. No provision for knock sensor, or crank sensor, the difference between a two piece rear main and the "new" style one piece.

Older 350 engines have mechanical fuel pumps.

Best bet is to get a 350 from the year range that came in your truck.

Yes just about any Chevy 350 would technically bolt in... the fine print would bite you in the @$$...

Don't know if you are talking about retaining all the electronics and fuel injection... more details would help.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Someone might have to correct me on this but I believe that third gen small blocks have a one piece crankshaft seal, came equipped for a roller cam, and might have reverse cooling flow. The seal is no big deal, but if you get a non roller block, you will lose the improvements that a roller cam will provide. Unless you spend the extra $ to install the "roller lifter guides" in a older block. IMHO Mike

Reply to
Mike

yes, any small block chevy will bolt up, but the problem is the controls are all different and must be matched.old john Hello, Dunamis! You wrote on Sat, 10 May 2008 13:48:01 GMT:

DvC> If I wanted to buy a 350 to biuld up to eventually put into my truck, DvC> does it have to be thew same year as my truck (1995) or will any 350 DvC> just slide in?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Check your with your state's DMV/Inspections to see what engines would be "legal".

Reply to
Mike Copeland