Are my wheels too big???

You have done your home work some on gear ratios but just remember that it is not all simple math because with larger tires and increased height also come increased drag and the lowest possible RPM is not always the best for MPG. A heavier truck truck needs to turn more RPM cruising for best performance and MPG because you do not want to have it kick out of OD on most hills on interstate. Myself, I think 2100 to

2200 rpm at 60 with a GM SB in a 4x4 is a better compromise for power of MPG in OD.
Reply to
SnoMan

OH...Ok... I was a bit confused for a moment. My next question was going to be "Where can I get one!!?!??!"

Well, seeing as how the front 10-bolt will eventually be swapped in favor of a Dana 60, I think it's best to go with some wheels that'll fit over the brakes.

Yep, the Eagles are indeed very similar to the Bajas. I know they're not terribly unique looking, but I'm not going for flash in the wheel dept. I like plain and simple, utilitarian looking things.

Yeah, they're aluminum. And yes, I'd prefer them in black. I'm moving toward getting the whole thing as black as possible (body, bumpers, mirrors, wheels, etc...). I have quite a ways to go there, seeing as how it's currently white with white rims.

The wheels on that Sub are not stock. They're something a previous owner installed. There's no wheel spacers, and the tires are the same size as the ones on my K5, so the back spacing on them must be different. They do stick out by at least 1.5 inches more than the K5's tires.

Reply to
Jon Pickens

Aftermarket wheels do typically have different backspacing than factory.

Reply to
Shades

Well, I'm going to check the spacing on the stock and the aftermarket wheels, and probably go with the offset that the aftermarket ones have.

They look better, and I think it'd add a little cornering stability during street driving.

Reply to
Jon Pickens

...and more stress on ball joints and wheel bearings...

Reply to
Shades

Well tell me this, what's the WMS-to-WMS measurement on a 1/2 ton as opposed to the 1 ton?

Will the 1 ton axle upgrade push the wheels out further?

Would a wheel with zero offset (WMS is in the middle of the tire) stress the joints and bearings the least?

Reply to
Jon Pickens

WMS?

Reply to
Shades

Just replace the damn wheels with what ever size you want, then if it rubs the fenders or whatever deal with it then.

Reply to
Adam F.

BARKBARKBARK

Reply to
Shades

wheel mounting surface...

The width of the entire axle assembly with everything but the wheels attached--hub to hub. I think a 14 bolt is usually like 67", although vans had wider ones than trucks. And duallies have even wider axles than that.

Some use an axle from a van or dually to widen the rear track without modifying the axle. Although from what I've seen, using a van axle requires you to cut off the spring perches and weld new ones on. The van's spring placement is different than trucks.

Reply to
Jon Pickens

gotcha...I have always known it as hub-to-hub...

There always seems to be variances, but 69inches is the standard front axle width on 1/2T-1T Chevy's. I believe rears are 65inches and vans do run

69inches...and yea, the perches are 4inches(roughly) wider for the vans. Getting a 14bolt 10.5 ring gear from a van installed in my truck is a goal of mine.

You can get dually studs and flange from a dually and install them on the rear-end to get the wider track.

Reply to
Shades

Well, if you need a ladder in order to climb into your rig...........the answer is yes

Reply to
ken

Wheels have no direct effect on the height of the truck...tires and suspension lift do.

Reply to
Shades

no the bigger the better my cousin has a k5 blazer to and we got 48 on our k5 and we only use it for tree jobs and other shit like 4-wheelin in it we take the top off you should see the mess if you like to 4 wheel hard and ruff. it's got a rebuilt 350 and we are putting a 460 big block ford motor in it it is nice he was going to sell it for 300 buck. demoderby44

Reply to
Chris Pueschel