Attn: shiden _kai

I have a'97 K1500 with the 5.7 V8. On the positive side of the battery one of the cables has a small orange cable that runs to the alt. The orange wire is messing up at the post side of the cable. Sometimes in the morning the truck won't crank and you shake the orange wire power will come back and the truck will crank. What guage wire is it? Can I cut the wire from the terminal and put a ring terminal connector on it and put back on. Thanks

Reply to
Kevin Smith

I don't know what guage wire it is at the moment. I don't see a problem with what you want to do, though I do think you would be better off just replacing the cable assembly. Bit more inconvenient work, though.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Kevin Smith

I would imagine so. Just don't hook up your cable like this person did.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Man that had to be hard to do. Some times they don't start all that well when turned the right way.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

And the photo doesn't really do it justice. The battery cable bolt was obviously cross threaded. Oh well, this is the same customer that believed that we disconnect all the brake lines when simply replacing two rear rotors. He believes this because "he's been a mechanic for 30 years, and this is what he does when doing a brake job"....ok, whatever! Customers can be wonderful creatures...or the most bizarre people that you will run into.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian, I was looking at the rest of your image directory and was shocked when I saw this one:

Is that the Dexcool stuff?? I h>

Reply to
John Manner

Nothing like opening the hood every time you need to start her up:

And move around the battery cable!

I love the smell of electrical insulation in the morning!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Yes, in fact, that picture is of a Blazer radiator.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian,

When you get one in the shop that's as bad as that blazer photo that you shared, how do you get the cooling system cleaned out? I assume that normal flushing would only get you so far. Just wondering.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

There is a two component caustic chemical that we use. It's an aftermarket product that we get from one of the aftermarket stores that we deal with. GM recommends the use of it, so we use it. It's pretty nasty stuff, though. You don't want to get any of it on you, and we use our coolant flushing machine to run gallons of clear water through the system after it's had this stuff in it. Unfortunately, it's a time consuming procedure and can cost the customer 4-500 dollars if they feel like doing it. GM won't help with it, once the vehicles are off warranty.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Hi Ian:

That's the stuff that was outlawed in the USA. Dupont used to make it, in a two compartment container.

Now, we're stuck with garbage for flush.

Regards,

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Ian,

I for one would like to thank you for taking the time to list photos of various mechanical issues and giving us the benefit of you're automotive knowledge. I realize that it takes time out of you're day and I appreciate it.

That being said, the reason I asked about the flushing of a Dex-Cool destroyed cooling system was I knew that I am due to change mine as it 5-1/2 years old but only 62,000 miles on it. So the picture that you posted got me in gear and I flushed the system today until I had clear water then refilled with Dex-Cool and water mixture to -34 degrees. You know the picture of the blazer that you showed was much like a Doctor showing cancer ridden lungs to a patient, it got me off my ass and I quit procrastinating. Here is a photo of what my radiator cap was looking like, the rest of the system that I could see such as inside the hoses and the radiator was spotless so I feel confident I got it in time.

How ever the antifreeze solution was sure murky. But what I don't know is was my system two weeks or two months or two years from looking like that blazer. I really didn't want to find out.

Thanks Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Looks good from what I can see. I would not recommend using the factory recommended period for changing dexcool. Just do it every three years whether you think it needs it or not. You probably have also kept a close eye on your coolant level and weren't running it low for extended periods of time. That's what causes the rusty mud stuff to appear.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian, I for one would like to thank you for taking the time to list photos of various mechanical issues and giving us the benefit of you're automotive knowledge. I realize that it takes time out of you're day and I appreciate it.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Devil Dude, you've been hang'n here long enough that one of us should tell you the truth about Ian.

He don't know diddly-squat bout no automobile. But he shore knows the internet.

Ian (aka Shiden-Kai) is a 12 year old Tibetan Monk that graduated from an 20 year Zen Master Apprenticship program at the age of

  1. His intellect and thought process being so much far advanced of that of all the other Monks in Tibet, they locked him away in a secluded 12th century monestary for fear he would use his advanced Zen powers to somehow evolve their system and corrupt it with more modern thought process's. They initially had researved feelings and even some doubt as to wheather they should seclude him. However, when he came out with that whole "Chanting Monks" thing a couple years ago, and entrouped several of the "more less enlightend" monks to go on that "Today Show", "Tonight Show" tour.......well you can see where the elders felt their traditions were in jeopardy.

So.....they hid him away from society deep up in the mountains in one of them secret monestaries.

Problem was...the poor little feller kept climbing down to get to civilization where he could "challenge" his thought process's and encounter "wordly" things.

So....they bought him a world class computer, a Craftsman gas generator, and a Sattelite dish and put him back up in the mountain.

He ain't left since. He's got all the worldly challenge he needs now on the internet.

He spends all his time hack'n the General Motors technical line and answering mundane questions in the NG's. Every onced-n-whilst he gits a little bored and challenges the intellect of well seasoned Technicians by applieing his Zen logic to some very basic and fundamental automotive system. Take his recent "thermostat" rampage for example. The guys in that thread are look'n like complete idiots next to his thought process. "what yuh mean....a t-stat can't controll temp?"

lmao

any whooo.....

i jest figured we should let you know....

he's kinda modest about the whole thing you know.

~:~ Marsh ~cuts the stove on...puts on a pot of water... and starts "stemming" the shrooms that the monestary sent him~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

[...]

+++++++++++++++

Is this a Zen riddle?

+++++++++++++++
Reply to
el Diablo

hey Marsh... how 'bout sharing some of what ever you're smokin'? *g*

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

isn't Zen riddle an oxymoron, like criminal attorney??

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

That was a classic:

Almost as good as the reply to Bob!

I'd dare a wager that even Ian is laughing his ass off?

Refinish King

LOFL