axle seal

Has anyone ever replaced an axle seal on a 1989 k1500
how hard is it and what does it take I do most repairs my self and am very handy and own most tools,
I was told by a mechanic that it is very difficult to do but I think he would like my $250 for a ten dollar seal and 20 dollars of fluid? any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff
Jeff wrote:

support axel on jackstands take off the wheels remove diff cover, try not to smell stinky fluid :) remove the little bolt holding the shaft in that holds the two little gears pull that shaft and the little gears push in on the axel you need to need to remove and the end will come out of the little gear on it exposing the c clip remove the c clip, don't drop in the stinky fluid :) now carefully slide out the axel and you can get to the seal re assemble in reverse order
That is the basic step by step bare minimum details. If you can understand that you shouldn't have any difficulties. The hardest part if when you put back the two gears that are not on the axels, I would put in one and the second would line up 1/2 tooth off. I finally figured out you have to twist both into place at the same time then hold them there and then slide the shaft up in.
I should mention that this is on the front axle I believe that the rear would be lots easier
Fisrt off, I have only done this job on a 1977 3/4 ton and it wasn't that difficult. Second, I just had this done to a 1990 1/2 ton Suburban (both sides) and it cost only $143 U.S (at the dealer). I think that your mechanic is a little high.
axle seal Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Oct 29, 2003, 6:48pm (CST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jeff) Has anyone ever replaced an axle seal on a 1989 k1500 how hard is it and what does it take I do most repairs my self and am very handy and own most tools, I was told by a mechanic that it is very difficult to do but I think he would like my $250 for a ten dollar seal and 20 dollars of fluid? any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff
yep replaced one....... ...or two...or three.. yep kinda hard..... nope dont think you have the tools for it... Not something a doit yourselfer should try... Steve C
How do you know what tools I have. I grew up on a farm with most any tool you can imagine and then some you can't. Grandfather is a heavy duty diesel mechanic if I don't have it he will thanks for your .02 cents
If you have a narrow garage, do this repair in the driveway. ;o)
Front axel seal isnt that hard. But which side? And is it on the 4WD diff?
Cheers

As a short answer, If its the Drivers side Diff flange seal, it can be done with out removal of the diff. The right side flang seal I believe the diff needs to be lowered, not as easy as the left side.
Cheers

It is on the passenger side.
Then the extension tube needs to be removed, so the axle shaft can be taken out.
Cheers