Backup lights ? k1500 1991 suburban auto trans

Hello All, I noticed recently my backup lights were not working...bulbs are good and connections in the light assmbly look good ,Brake and running lights are OK...where is the backup light switch? I un plugged and jumped a two wire... and a four wire switch on the transmission but that didn't get the lights to go on(in reverse of course)Alldata says switch is on tranny ,chiltons says in the steering column. If it is in the column where?chilton won't say where just tells me to get out the wheel puller and prepare to remove the steering wheel .Please tell me where the switch is...I enjoy backing up legally.

Rob

Reply to
GreenWay

it's at the base of the steering column on the top side right at the firewall. when you go to buy a new one, ask for a Park/Neutral switch and for god sakes, don't go to autozone and buy a Wells POS, go to Napa or Carquest and buy one that'll last more than a month.

the P/N switch was moved to the outside of the transmission in 93 (I think).

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase