Bad Starter?

When its cold outside, my 93 Jimmy makes a funny noise for about 5 seconds then stops. Plus it seems to struggle a bit when I start it. When it warm, it starts fine and it doesn't make that noise. Thats what leads me to
believe its my starter. Does a bad starter put stress on any other parts of the car? Should I get fixed fast, or wait until it breaks?