Baja beater, continued

We've been looking at a few trucks, mostly jeep cherokees and Toyota land cruisers...
My wife asked again about blazer/blazer II ads and I really don't have any info
except that my kid's blazer was fun to drive around town..
There are a ton of 98 to 2001 blazers in the local paper, most with 4x4, V-6 and auto.... Are they a fairly rugged vehicle, or more like an S-10 that they throw 4wd on?
Any suggestions, direction appreciated... Mac

I'm not sure I follow your question...what does "more like an S-10 that they throw 4wd on?" mean? The Blazer is built on the S10 chasis, but I woudn't say anything was thrown on. S10's were available in 4 wheel drive.
The Blazer's weren't known for having a very robust drive train, not unlike many other four wheel drive systems. I wouldn't purchase one with 100,000 thinking that they are bullet proof and will last forever. Because they won't.
Why don't you buy a CJ or Wrangler? I'd guess there would be many available in your area and nothing is more fun to beat around in. Newer Land Cruisers wouldn't be my first choice for an off road beater and the older FJ's are pushing fourty years old now.

That's sort of my question... I've heard that the Japanese trucks are pretty much the same truck with 2 or 4wd, not especially more rugged or anything.... we're not going hill climbing or anything, just want something that will survive better as a daily driver on dirt roads because nothing but the hiway is graded there..

Unfortunately, we're sort of stuck on needing AC, which doesn't seem available on anything in the Jeep line except the wagons... been looking at Cherokees and stuff..
The land cruiser appeals to us, but the newer ones are a bit to "SUV" for us and we've heard that the older ones are hard to find parts for... We had a neighbor offer a great deal on her 97 for $9,000 but that's a couple of thousand over our budget..
If we were looking for something to just blast around in the desert once in a while, I'd buy an old CJ in a heart beat, but this will be our daily driver and has to have the "creature comforts"..
Without writing a novel here, the bottom line is that we want something to replace our Dakota before we leave because it's a "city" truck for sure and would get beat to crap down there.. Mac

If thats 90% of your driveing , a s-10 or s15 will go 200k plus. My 85 s15 Jimmy is pretty rough as far as looks,my fault,but the drive train is perfect.It did need a clutch at 187k.And it has 250k now. I also have a 91 s10 Blazer . Beside the seats ,which needed seat covers around 100k, looks and runs perfect.And has124k on it now. If you really like the s10-15`s go to http://forums.s-series.org/ and ask around about reliabilty and common problems.

I cant belive parts are to find for land cruiser`s...I was looking at getting one.Parts are definalty not hard to find on the s10`s. Autozone

Cool.. that's what I needed input on.... An s-10 blazer is a lot more affordable than a Cherokee and I'm guessing that it would be easier to find parts for in Baja..

Mac
the jeep cherokee does not need parts. hehehe old john
Hello, mac! You wrote on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 20:59:18 -0700:
md> Cool.. that's what I needed input on.... An s-10 blazer is a lot more md> affordable than a Cherokee and I'm guessing that it would be easier to md> find parts for in Baja..
??>>> That's sort of my question... I've heard that the Japanese trucks are ??>>> pretty much the same truck with 2 or 4wd, not especially more rugged ??>>> or anything.... we're not going hill climbing or anything, just want ??>>> something that will survive better as a daily driver on dirt roads ??>>> because nothing but the hiway is graded there.. ??>> ??>> If thats 90% of your driveing , a s-10 or s15 will go 200k plus. ??>> My 85 s15 Jimmy is pretty rough as far as looks,my fault,but the drive ??>> train is perfect.It did need a clutch at 187k.And it has 250k now. I ??>> also have a 91 s10 Blazer . Beside the seats ,which needed seat covers ??>> around 100k, looks and runs perfect.And has124k on it now. If you ??>> really like the s10-15`s go to http://forums.s-series.org/ and ask around about reliabilty and ??>> common problems. ??>> ??>>> Unfortunately, we're sort of stuck on needing AC, which doesn't seem ??>>> available ??>>> on anything in the Jeep line except the wagons... been looking at ??>>> Cherokees and ??>>> stuff.. ??>>> ??>>> The appeals to us, but the newer ones are a bit to "SUV" for us and ??>>> we've heard that the older ones are hard to find parts for... ??>> ??>> I cant belive parts are to find for land cruiser`s...I was looking at ??>> getting one.Parts are definalty not hard to find on the s10`s. ??>> Autozone ??>> md> Mac
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
the jeep cherokee does not need parts. hehehe

" the sensor on the outside of the bell housing does go out sometimes. cost 30.00 and u install."
I have a 1988 and a 2000 jeep cherokee xj and they are pretty rugged, yet fun to drive daily. the sensor on the outside of the bell housing does go out sometimes. cost 30.00 and u install. it still will drive you home. otherwise,bulitproof as i use mine both hard in the hills hunting and exploring. old john
> We've been looking at a few trucks, mostly jeep cherokees and Toyota land > cruisers... > > My wife asked again about blazer/blazer II ads and I really don't have any info > except that my kid's blazer was fun to drive around town.. > > There are a ton of 98 to 2001 blazers in the local paper, most with 4x4, V-6 and > auto.... Are they a fairly rugged vehicle, or more like an S-10 that they throw > 4wd on? > > Any suggestions, direction appreciated... > Mac > > https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis > https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm

Thanks.. we just missed a 91 with straight six and air for $4,000... lot less than we can find a land cruiser for.. Mac