Batteries for 83 Surburban

My 83 Surburban, 4x4, 6.2 diesel, no longer starts easily, and testing the two batteries reveals that one is bad. No surprise here: the batteries are ancient off brand 80 Ah units installed by the previous owner.

My guess is that I would be better off replacing both batteries, not just the one that tests bad (correct me if I´m wrong here), and that Delco (the only name brand available here) is to be preferred over locally made batteries despite their higher price (again, correct me if I´m wrong).

But where I am completely clueless is how big of batteries I should get. The manual says simply to replace the batteries with the same size and type as factory original, but that is no help given that I don´t have the originals. Nor does the size of the battery trays, as the trays were added recently to fit the existing batteries.

One advantage I have is that the temperature here never goes below 50F, so I don´t need extra power for sub-zero cranking.

So, what batteries should I get for my beast? I´m sick of begging jump starts.

TIA, Warren Post Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras

Warren Post

Correct! Replace BOTH batteries! Be sure that they are identical CCA, group size, and reserve capacity.

All I can find on my batteries is Group 3478DT. Not sure if that is the size... Both are 875CCA.

Reply to
Shades

"Warren Post"

\

go to wal-mart. they are stocking the ultima dry cell batteries. at least here they are.....you can not get a better battery and the price wal-mart is charging is a complete steal for them !!

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Wish we had a Wal-Mart here. My options are Delco for $100 each or locally made cheapos.

Warren

Reply to
Warren Post

So how many amps and reserve capacity should I be looking for? I know the general rule of thumb is there´s no such thing as too many amps, but I can´t afford to overbuy right now.

These batteries will be for tropical use; the temperature never goes below

50F here.

TIA, Warren

Reply to
Warren Post
750 or greater Cold Cranking Amps

Reply to
Elbert

if its a gas engine 750 CCA or so

on a diesel I would get the largest batteries as rated by cold cranking amps you can find / afford.

Reply to
Elbert

i think even delco makes a dry cell battery. dry cell is the absolute best

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Eveready, Duracell and Ray-o-vac make dry cell batteries. Optima is not a dry cell. H

Reply to
Hairy

yes it is i have 4 of them. each one has 6 high power capacitors. they come in red and yellow top(marine) they are mainly use in major car audio comps.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Actually, the blue top is the marine battery. The yellow is indeed a deep cycle, but they don't consider it a marine battery. I've got a yellow top in my 96 Tahoe because I've got a high-power audio system. I don't do competitions though. I was going to go for the red because I've used them and really like them, but my stereo system essentially voids the warranty unlike the yellow.

I would highly recommend either though. The red top I used was still labeled Interstate Batteries (which owns Optima) and was used regulary for tough-truck racing (as seen on TNN) where they typically don't have alternators to charge the batteries so it was essentially a deep-cycle duty load. It's been running great for about 5 years this way and is still running great in a 97 Tahoe to this day.

Brandonb

S.S.I.N. wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

Actually, Optima is owned by Johnson Controls. Have been since 2000. Optima was and still pretty much is a gel-cell technology. Now I think it's called Spiracell. So, in my opinion you really would not classify it as a dry-cell. And those cells are not capacitors.

Reply to
C.B. Evans

The only option for Optimas here is:

Advanced Abortion Parts!

It's like wearing a condom buying at Advanced. You feel secure when you're getting screwed. AutoZone, now, that's a story unto it self!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Johnson Controls makes Interstate batteries!

Interstate is a private label, Johnson Controls makes batteries for other companies also.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Is dry cell the same as sealed? I certainly will be getting sealed batteries. The batteries I´m replacing would toss acid every time I´d go play in the dirt and the sheet metal below them now looks like window screen.

Warren

Reply to
Warren Post

ABC

Sorry no, Johnson Controls does not make Interstate. They make off brands for many companies. But not Interstate.

Interstate has their own manufacturing.

Not "owned" by anybody really.

I think Joe Gibbs Racing has a small interest in the company.

Reply to
C.B. Evans

Hello Warren,

We've got dual Duralast Gold batteries (900 CCA, 1000 CA, 120 RCA), p/n

34DT-DGN, in our '86 NA6.2 diesel sub. Costco sells a battery with equivalent cranking amp ratings for about $58 + $5 core.

Get the highest rating dual batteries you can afford -- the extra juice will come in handy should you ever need to crank the diesel engine over and over (e.g., in case you have issues with the glow system) to get it started. Good luck.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

My old Interstate supplier told me that?

I guess he was wrong?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Check out Oriely's . ive got deals on batteries there. The ones ive bought have a 2 yr free replacement on them, had one go bad within a mo. new battery no questions asked.

Reply to
LARRY929