Bed cover

I have a 96 chevy half ton step side bed. The clear coat is peeling from the top of the bed. I thought about installign one of those black tonneau covers with snaps on the side.
How would this look on this truck and are they hard to install? DO they last a long time?

The top of the bed? As in the floor of the bed, or the top of the box rails? I'd be more inclined to have the top rails and the interior of the box sprayed with a tough liner material. My experience is that soft tonneau covers flap and vibrate at highway speeds even when installed correctly, and offer no security. Some I've seen actually rub and abrade the finish on the top of the box rails due to this. Some have a plastic railing system going around the top of the box and they attach to this.