Big Block vs. Small Block

Page 1 of 2
Now, this may be a dumb question to many of you, but could someone explain to me the difference between a 'big block' and a 'small block'. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I just bought a K5 with a small
block 350, bored out .30 over.
Just curious.
Thanks
Brent san diego, CA
no, you bought a 350 bored out 0.030"
' .30 ' would put you into the water jackets

a small block is a first gen chevy V8 displacing 262,265,267,283,302,305,307,327,350 or 400 CI. the blocks can handle a maximum bore of 4.125" and a maximum stroke of 3.75" (b/s of a 400ci).
the second gen v8 (LT1/LT5) and 3rd Gen V8's (LS1,LS6) have displacements of 5.7liters and are not compatible with the first gen V8 small block.
a big block chevy is a v8 displacing 366,396,402,427,454,502 or 572 ci.
the small blocks advantage is decent power in a relatively light package.
the big block's advantage is simply HP and Torque. the larger big block simply has more room for stronger components and better ports.
HTH, Bret

Is the 572 gas or diesel? I think my future chevelle is calling for it...
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson
On 6 Jan 2004 12:37:29 -0800, pde_on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lonely G-Monkey) wrote:

engine.
-Bret
(Lonely

It'd be nice if some company made a swap kit to put a VW W16 engine under the hood, 700+ KW.
rhys
a big block chevy is a v8 displacing 366,396,402,427,454,502 or 572

Those are/ were availiable factory or crate. But If you're gonna spend money, look at stroking a good 'ol 454, any one'll do. You get 'em out to 496 or 525, with the long stroke of those you'll see some retarded torque numbers and down low too. Seems like everybody and their dog gets or wants a 383 stroker when their 350 bites it, but be different stroke a BBC.

I just want to go places and when people ask "what chew got?" "A 572, .030 over, super charger, turbo, 300hp nos, posi rear, munchi 4sp (do they make a good 6sp?). A good 0-60 run will transport you back to the start line, so you can see your car take off the line again (and again [and again {and agian}])" "ya I got a 350....and stuff"
But I'd settle for a 454 for my K5 (my chevelle MUST have a larger engine, period...)
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson
On 7 Jan 2004 10:48:41 -0800, pde_on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lonely G-Monkey) wrote:

a muncie 4 speed would last about 5 seconds behind a 600HP motor, I think your trans options would be more towards a built TH400 or a Lenko... the ZZ572's torque even far exceeds the mighty NV4500's 460 ft/lbs rating.
-Bret

ok... fine... I'll reiterate, with 750 ft/lbs of torque, you're either going to have to use an auto or a Lenco sequential shift... nothing else that would even romotely fit into a chevelle will hold up.
-Bret

For a Chevelle? Thats a small coupe style car innit?
try googling for what GM Australia uses in their manual HSVs, a T56 six-speed manual gearbox.
at least 575 lb/ft of torque in the 2002 HSV coupe, would it stand up to 750?
rhys

depends on the year, they were never small... pre '66 I'd call them a large car, and a midsize from 66 on.
-Bret

To Brett: You were talking about putting it in my truck. Just wanted to remind you what we were talking of, not saying you are wrong at all. I guess I will have to go for a smaller engine, I really, really, really, really, love manuals....
To rnf/Brett: It's a G-Body car. 16' long if I remember, just as wide as a K5 by the "looks" of it. They fit the 502 (Until this thread I had never heard of the 572)
~KJ~

G-Body? Means absolutely nothing to me. :)
Doing a bit of google-work it seems about a 70's Holden Monaro-ish size, should take a T56 with a bit of work. you may have to detune the 572 to 645 ft/lb of torque. But the T56 will fit a modded Jaguar E-type, should be small enough to go in a Chevelle, and strong enough to take a BBlock.
rhys

Hmm... more on the T56.
It's a Borg Warner box and is able to take the V12 with 645 lb/ft of torque.
http://www.lynxmotors.co.uk/v12.htm
"The power output of the engine is truly awesome - 650bhp and 645lb/ft of torque! The Lynx V12 E-type is capable of reaching 100mph from standstill in a fraction under 8 seconds."
most sports cars tend to get 0-100 KM/H in under 8 seconds, but thats only 62 MPH.
Nice car.
rhys
KJ, http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/572-620pics.html http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/572.html
The 720 version is 12:1 CR, you need to run race fuel to feed the hungry 1095cfm carb. If you go to the track ALL the "fast guys" run auto's. You just can't out shift one. And if you do want to get into the 600-700+ hp club with a gearbox you'll still be blowing it up. There's a guy in town here that's grenaded 2 T56's. I've got a muncie M-21 in my '73 Z-28, that's fine for now, I like muncies too (got an SM 465 in my K25. But when the car gets repowered, if I wanna be fast, gotta go torque converter. I'm planning for a 525 stroker with a turbo.

How much does one of those beasts cost?
I note it's 30 Hp less and 5 ft/lbs more than the Jaguar 7.3L which is about 450cui. (454 is 7.4L IIRC)
rhys

GM performance parts isn't listing the ZZ572 anymore....... I don't know why. I'd say it costs alot, but a pittance compared to the Jag motor.
-Bret

I heard rumors of about $15,000 USD for a 572 from GM. But you can get a Rodeck block and build your own 572. I know a guy in BC that has been running a blown alky 572 Rodeck for about 2 1/2 years now in a mud rail. Puts about 1900 hp down, runs a 200ft mud pit in around 2 sec.

Oh man with hp like that I don't care if it's auto or manual!!!! Holly shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~KJ~