Bigblock? Smallblock?

Page 1 of 3
I have a 1990 Chevy Caprice. It has a 5.0 liter 305 according to the VIN and the block. Unfortunately, It doesnít say if its a BB or SB. I was wondering if it would be a short block or big block. Finding parts
on online auctions is difficult when you donít know. Also considering upgrading to the 5.7L 350. From what I hear, it should work. The old engine is probably in too poor of condition to be rebuilt. What do you think? The car ran fine until one day I put the pedal to the metal. The sound of breaking metal and slipping timing was followed by silence. I coasted about 3 blocks before I used the parking brake to stop. Before that, it only made a slight ticking noise. I found out later that the ticking was the crankshaft hitting a broken rod. It wasnít a tapping valve like people suggested. I also found a brownish-black sludge in the cylinder with the broken rod.
Itís old over-heated coolant mixed with carbon buildup. I havenít taken the entire engine out yet. The pistons, cam, crank, pan, and rods are the only thing attached to the block(besides the tranny). The engine is still in the car. It is actually sitting on the frame. Both mountsí rubber is completely gone. The only things that might be salvageable would be the block(if not cracked), the pistons(if not broken), valve springs and retainers, and the heads(if not cracked). Things wrong with the 305 5.0L: cracked intake manifold, bent rods (due to broken rod), possible cracked head, possibly had a blown head gasket, 1 broke rod (pushed it down about 2 1/2" with finger while other pistons stayed in place), 7 seized pistons(8th was completely broken from crank months before, apparently), stretched timing chain, cam timing off by 90 degrees, shattered cam thrust washer plate(donít know the actual name. Iíts the bolted on plate behind the cam gear.), found about 4 1/2 quarts of pure coolant and water in oil pan(about 5 1/2 quarts of oil also found in the oil pan.)
‚úĖ

The abbreviation SB refers to small block. Your car has a small block.
Al
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
The 305 is a Small Block. The only Small block that has more cubic inches than a Big Block is a 400 which is bigger than the classis 396. If its under 400ci its a small block. We wont get into the 348/409 family. The 305 is one of the worst engines ever made. ALLOT of the 305 blocks were made on Mexico and were far below junk. They had a high sand content and the starter bolt holes liked to strip out. 350's are EVERYWHERE and a direct bolt in and lots more power without sacrificing economy. The only hitch might be the exhaust manifolds.
Don't even bother considering 305 anything...not worth the time! 350, 400, even a 307 would be MUCH better

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Well if ya want to get into the truck blocks.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
read the newsgroup name and get back to us "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
'Truck Blocks' does NOT refer to Light Trucks! It refers to the Medium Duty trucks! Educate before you get lippy!

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
something wonderfully witty:

production vehicle? I am aware of bored & stroked GM 350's into 383's, but they are still small blocks. As the other poster stated the smallest BB that I am aware of is the 396 with the biggest SB being the GM 400, which is an outstanding motor in the 4-bot main configuration. Which by the way, highly sought after by dirt track racers.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

The 366 is a truck engine found in C65's and others. Same block as the 396-402-427-454. Basically the same engine but heavier duty with extra oil capacity. H
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Partially wrong and somewhat right! The 366 is a Tall Block, always considered a 'Truck Block'. There is also a very rare 427 'Truck Block'. The same basic design for the standard Mark IV Big Block is used(with some differences) but the deck height is higher, the rids longer, taller compression height pistons, and longer rods. They were discontinued in the mid 70's or so.
Both the 366 and 427 'Truck Blocks' were used exclusively in Medium Duty Chevy and GMC trucks. They CAN be shoe-horned into Light Trucks and passenger cars, but are expensive to build and find. Hood clearance can be an issue too.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
something wonderfully witty:

that area. What years were they available in?
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."
‚úĖ

Check this page...says it better than I could. http://www.nastyz28.com/bbcmenu.html
‚úĖ

366 is a Chev truck motor... was available in 2ton trucks
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net
> wrote: > > >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:28:15 -0600, "Hairy" &lt; snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com&gt; wrote > >something wonderfully witty: > > > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>>"Shades" &lt;shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net&gt; wrote > in message > &nbsp;>> > remove ** to email
I donít know whatís wrong with me. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. I couldnít figure out what happened to my post [AutoForumz editor: poster is referring to sections on AF's site]. At least it was in a Chevy section. I finally crawled under the car yesterday with a flaslight and removed the #8 piston. It is in worse condition than I thought last time. It turns out the con rod broke(as I thought). Then, the piston flew up and hit the head... HARD! It hit so hard that the piston bent~. The lower half of the piston is completely gone! Everything below the bottom oil-scraping ring is gone. The broken con rod then fell and became jammed up between the crankshaft and the bottom of the block. The block and crank is completely trashed. It doesnít matter though. Iíve decided to build myself a low budget performance engine. I have already bought a 350 Chevy SB block from a í92 camaro bored .030 over. It has already had $400 worth of work done to it. Iím getting it for about $225 after shipping. Iím getting an engine kit that comes with all new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, timing, gaskets, cam, rollers, oil pump, ect... Iím also going to get new rockers, pushrods, and springs. I already have some HUGE new 2.08 racing valves that Iím planning on using(if I can get them to fit). The heads, I might see if I can find some from the auto recyclers in good shape. Of course I canít leave them in stock condition. Iím going to get the seats sized up to fit the valve size(by a machine shop). All of the porting and polishing work I will probably do myself. I donít plan on taking off too much since the walls could be weakened too much. The only thing I havenít figured out so far is the intake and exhaust manifolds. The completed engine is estimated to be well under $1000!
‚úĖ
"BadBow99S10" wrote: > I don't know what's wrong with me. I just realized I posted > this in the wrong section. I couldn't figure out what happened > to my post. At least it was in a Chevy section. I finally > crawled under the car yesterday with a flaslight and removed > the #8 piston. It is in worse condition than I thought last > time. It turns out the con rod broke(as I thought). Then, the > piston flew up and hit the head... HARD! It hit so hard that > the piston bent~. > The lower half of the piston is completely gone! Everything > below the bottom oil-scraping ring is gone. The broken con rod > then fell and became jammed up between the crankshaft and the > bottom of the block. The block and crank is completely > trashed. It doesn't matter though. > I've decided to build myself a low budget performance > engine. I have already bought a 350 Chevy SB block from a '92 > camaro bored .030 over. It has already had $400 worth of work > done to it. I'm getting it for about $225 after shipping. > I'm getting an engine kit that comes with all new pistons, > rings, rods, bearings, timing, gaskets, cam, rollers, oil > pump, ect... I'm also going to get new rockers, pushrods, and > springs. I already have some HUGE new 2.08 racing valves that > I'm planning on using(if I can get them to fit). > The heads, I might see if I can find some from the auto > recyclers in good shape. Of course I can't leave them in stock > condition. I'm going to get the seats sized up to fit the > valve size(by a machine shop). All of the porting and > polishing work I will probably do myself. I don't plan on > taking off too much since the walls could be weakened too > much. > The only thing I haven't figured out so far is the intake > and exhaust manifolds. The completed engine is estimated to be > well under $1000! :twisted:
Iím going to post a question on the intake in the Chevy cars section.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Snip

366 is a big block. Commonly used in industrial trucks, like beer and soda deliver trucks. (Been there, done that)
HDS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
396 mmmmmmmmmmm

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

But a 'W' looks good in any frame ya stick it in......
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Definatly!!!

Add pictures here