Biggest tires to fit 88-98 Chevy/GMC

What is the biggest and widest that I can fit on a 16X8 rim with out rubbing? 32"? What would that be a 285/75-16? I'd like to go as wide as possible also....any ideas fellas?
Thanks ~John

John,
I have 30's on my 88' C1500 <stock height>, and any bigger would be getting too close to the fender for my comfort. 31's <might> fit, but 32's would be rubbing for sure. I was running 255/60/15's on her (10.2" wide) for awhile and wouldn't want to go any wider. Although there was more than enough room to go wider, they looked great, any more would have looked dumb as hell.
So, you're looking for a tire around 30" diameter and 10-11" wide. 265/70/16 should be perfect (30.6" diameter/10.7" wide). Better have a nice low rear-end gear or you'll never get moving with those guys..............
Doc

I have 265/75-16s on it now (I think the stock rim is 16X7 or 7.5) and I just bought some 16x8s..... The 265s have "plenty" of room. I may try a 31" or so... just wondering how wide a tire they offer, I'm probably going with a set of BFGs all terrain or something like that.

Ask the tire shop, they should know.
~KJ~

..... rather ask someone that owns a 88-98 truck and that knows for sure what works and doesn't.

Yes, but we don't offer warranties :-)
I have a 1990 GMC FS jimmy that has 31xwhatevers on it, look small but don't rub I also have a 1985 K5 Blazer that has tires that MEASURE 31" tall, but I don't know what the size of the tire is.
Personally too lazy to go look. Neither tire is close to rubbing anything, but these are both 4x4 vehicles, which are a little higher (at least up front) from the factory.
~KJ~

265's are the metric version of a 32"x10.5" tire, going to a 31 would result in a shorter tire. if you want to go wider, try a 32X11.5. a 285-75/16 is slightly taller than a 33X12.5 and almost exatly the same width.
HTH, Bret

I have a 90 model with 285-75-16's on the stock wheels, (Z71, btw) the front end isn't cranked up, and i have no scrubbing on mine. i suppose it may differ according to tires and wheels, but if it's 4x4 you should be able to fit the same as mine without a problem.
Good luck TB

it depends greatly on 2wd or 4wd.... a 4wd can go as big as the 285-75/16.. the biggest I've seen on a 2wd is a 235-85/16 and it rubs like a bastard at the locks.
-Bret