Black Box

It's a recorder,not a transmitter.

Do you believe everything you're told? How would you know? Even stuff you buy at Wall Mart has transmitters on stuff. Elliott
DesertEd wrote:

You're obviously not too high on the intelligence or the knowledge scale,there Elliott.The "transmitters"(readers),are attached to the buildings of the stores that use that theft prevention system,and they read the magnetic strips as you try to sneak out of the place with something you didn't pay for.

Or something the retard behind the counter forgot to demagnetize or whatever.
~KJ~

KJ wrote:

to peel them off the back of cd's for example and put them on the floor stick side up. It worked really well when they had a carpet rug or something to hide them next to. We would hang out and wait until someone finally stepped on it and it stuck to the bottom of their shoe and then set off the alarm going out the door.
That sounds like some good clean fun. I don't think I could have that patience though, I think I would be a little more proactive & "walk" into a few people.... hehehe
~KJ~

I think what Elliot is referring to is an RF chip. They actually send a signal out. Depending on what is flashed on the chip. Mostly there used to transmit the bar code of the item. Wal-Mart is experimenting with these is stores, they are looking to be able to push a shopping cart through a halo scanner and it would ring up your entire sale. No more slow ass cashiers with an attitude. We use them in the plant to track manufactured items through out the processes.
nospam

Yes that's what I was referring to for walmart. Also, wether you know it or not there are technologies to read the signals that move around inside of a computer. These technologies have been around for a long time. The government even requires some equipment to pass "TEMPEST" specifications for the radiated emission levels in order to prevent eavesdropping (see http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html ). To enable a transmit w/o a conpicuous antenna is not difficult, and can even be added/installed without revealing it's presence to the original designer. And even my cell phone has no visible antenna. So unless you test the box extensively in an EMI lab, and carefully control the production line (ie: prevent part substitution - a substitute part could include a transmitter) - there is NO WAY you could possibly know for sure that the box doesn't transmit. Elliott
NoSpam wrote:

You mean "Even more illiterate people on welfare".
~KJ~
I heard they actually record information which can be used for diagnosis or for accidents, kind of like on airplanes. They supossedly record things like speed, ABS brake usage, whether the seat belt is engaged, air bag deployment, and such.
1987 Z75 Sub (the old off road package was order #Z75) 2003 Z71 Sub (new is nice but don't scratch it)

Your correct, that's just what they do.
nospam

A fellow from Montreal went to jail for reckless driving which resulted in an accident possibly causing fatalities. Not sure about witnesses so google search the Montreal papers for details Data gleaned from his former (written off) vehicle's airbag computer was used in court to convict him. Data stored there in belonged to the present owner, yup you guessed it, his insurer. That is what black boxes can do. It works both ways of course helping you win your case in court if wrongly accused or sued. Ethical issues such as privacy etc will be more frequently breached as we run head long to embrace technology! Respectfully Rolf

Here is a story on a convection
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/04/14/canada/blackbox_20040414
--

Corwin Wong