Blazer back glass

A while back, I was mowing the yard, and yep, I threw a rock and busted out my back glass. I had it replaced quickly and all was well till yesterday. For reasons unknown, the glass busted again. No mower, no kids, nuttin. I had run the glass up/down a few times that day, and it never was what youd call free running, it always seemed a bit tight. I guess it fractured from stress. It was still creaking and busting when I found it. Question is, has anyone tried putting in a plexi-glass window, would it be recommendable, or should I just pony up the 200 bucks to have it put in again? Right now Im thinking of trying the plexi-glass just because I dont want to throw down 200$ and have this happen again in 6 months.

Charles

Reply to
Shelldigger

I wouldn't use Plexiglas/lexan....scratches too easily and will haze over time from exposure to the elements and lexan is very expensive. Find the out what may have caused the replacement to break. Any chips in the glass will cause it to shatter under stress.

Have a reputable shop install a replacement with a guarantee.

Yeah I know....it sucks,but it may last longer..............Stan

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD

Thanks for the input. I have already decided to do just that, called the shop, $216.00 installed. Will call them back in a few minutes and tell them to order the glass. I hate to have to do this again, but sometimes you just got to suck it up and go. Hell it would likely take me a full day and then some to get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit and working anyway. Me and plexiglass dont get along real well.

Charles

BAD 4 GOOD wrote:

Reply to
Shelldigger

Got the window back in my truck yesterday, $235.00 worth. (after taxes)

One side effect did pop up though. I have an 82 Camaro w/400sb/ headers/ Edlebrock intake & carb. Fast car. Anyway, I havent driven it much since the price of gas went through the roof. With the back glass busted, exhaust fumes circulate through the truck, so I decided to throw a battery in the Camaro and go. Drivers side front caliper locked up. 7 Miles from home, no tools, no where to turn for help. Decided to limp it home, the 400sb didnt even flex its muscles much. Problem was, I caught on fire! Was only going 10-15 mph, when she lit up, I saw a flame shoot out and up from the fender well, a foot high, and felt the whoomf. I had picked up my school age son from school and had my 5 yr old in the car too. We jumped out of the car, I told the boys to get in the ditch away from the car, fumbled in my pocket for the key to the trunk, grabbed the fire extinguisher and put out the fire. Someone stopped for assistance, I asked them to put my boys in their vehicle and I limped the next two miles home. By the time I got home, I was smelling something else burning, I popped the hood and the tank for the winshield fluid was on fire. Still had plenty of fire extinguisher left over for that job. What a frickin day. I feel fortunate that the fuel line is on the passenger side of the car...

Now I have had to limp home in this manner before, caliper lockup is one of those things that happen, never have I caught fire from it. Ill be making sure there is a fire extinguisher in all of my vehicles now.

Charles

Shelldigger wrote:

Reply to
Shelldigger