Blows fuse when going to 4 wheel drive on 92 Silverado ????

Does any one know why I keep blowing the four wheel power fuse when I kick in the four wheel drive.
Thanks!!
Gene

Does it actually go into 4wd? Sounds like a dead short too me.
~KJ~

easy to test, just jack it up witht he rear wheels off the ground and stick it into 4wd, if it goes forward and drags the rear off the jacks then it's working.

kick
Sounds like a superb way to puncture your gas tank beyond all repair. How about he drives it gingerly on tar, and he should have no problem feeling the front end pull? Just don't turn too sharp, it's bad bad bad for your t-case.
~KJ~

how about pulling onto a stretch of gravel road and floor-boarding it in 4WD
if it leaves 4 marks, its working

Hmm... Maybe I should rephrase it, Jack it up using a jack under the towball/towbar so both rear wheels are off the ground, then drive forward.
I use a hydralic trolley jack, not one of those fiddly lil sissor jacks, it's plenty big enough to lift a Isuzu Bighorn by the towbar.
rhys

it's
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:23:35 -0500, "Gene & Alice"

I like Gary's method best.
I would think thats a bad thermal actuator. Check across both wires for zero resistance if so buy a new one or get a Posi-Lok manual actuator.
-Forrest
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:54:08 GMT, Forrest

get the revised electromechanical one... it rocks! I've got posted the part #'s many times.
-Bret
Gene & Alice wrote:

Check the wires that go to the t-case wiring harness throught the floor at the t-case shifter. Seen them shorted and toasted in this area.
Loren.
The actuator for the front diff may be the problem.Cam

kick