Body Lifts

Anyone have experience with body lifts? I'm looking to do a 3" lift this winter. Skyjacker seems like a decent brand, any suggestions? How much effort is involved in the process? 1 or 2 man job? Any Draw-backs or other modifications needed?

Thanks

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez
3" shouldn't be too bad. Figure you will need either a pair of jacks to lift the body. The bed will be easier since it is lighter. Then you need to lengthen the shift linkage or reroute the cable(or replace it if it is short) may need to replace the throttle cable, wiring may need to be moved around, the fan shroud will have to be notched, brake lines will need to be unhooked from any brackets attached to the body, The parking brake cable may have to be replaced, Fuel filler gets extended.

Drawbacks, one big one, the ugly gap between the frame and the body that will appear (can be covered), Body lift means engine access is a lot worse from the ground. Dirt,crud gets sprayed into the engine compartment a lot more. Harder to get in/out of truck. Headlights may have to be relocated depending on local laws regarding height.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ok, that sounds like what I expected. Anyone actually perform this on a 93 or similar?

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Reply to
sidewinder

PA's gettin pretty bad too.....they actually measure from the ground to the "highest point of the bottom of the rear bumper" to make sure those little rice thingys won't get stuck if the loose nut behind the wheel isn't paying attention to the brakelights......

Sheesh.....why can they lower them and we can't raise 'em???

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

yes, I did my '90 K1500 and it was a one-man job for the most part. It took a full day, but I did some extra stuff, like made wheel-well fillers, so I didn't have the gaps and painted all the parts, because all my steel stuff came bare.

Fan shroud was the biggest chore, but not bad. Had to relocate my shifter string on my column, too. Not a bad job to do, for the most part. Just give yourself plenty of time and don't get in a rush.

One thing about that was it really makes it nice to access things underneath the truck because it opened up space between the engine/chassis and the body. I miss this a bit on the truck I have, now.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

So, the shifter cable was the only thing that had to be lengthened/relocated? What has to be done, more specifically, with the fan shroud?

Thanks

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Everyone whines both ways. Up, your "gas tank is exposed" and the problem you mentioned. I know that going down they whine about suspension travel. Say there is too little to actually stick to the road, it will bounce you up and in a turn that can put you a foot or so off course.... whatever.... My stock '88 S10 and every other vehicle on earth has the same hopping problem.

My opinion: my ride, my life. If you want to protect others from me, and protect me from others, kill everyone. It's to only way.

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Did you have to use a steering extension?

Thanks

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

No steering extension. Brake lines under the master cylinder stretched without a problem, as they are coiled, anyhow. For the shifter, just have to remove the panel below the column and move the hook that holds the string for the shifter - very easy to do.

Fan shroud needed trimmed for the lower hose, I think. Then I made panels to go between the upper and lower halves. The kit comes with spacers, but not with the panels to fill in the gap. Otherwise, then air is not directed right on the engine and your radiator/fan become less effective.

Oh, and get the front bumper relocation kit, as well. I left my air dam off the bottom of the bumper so I didn't have to cut out for my tow hooks. Paint the frame black and no one will ever notice. This gave me a really nice spot to store my plug for my block heater, then, too.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Ok. thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I do

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

"Crooked-Ridez" wrote in news:RqKDb.7485 $ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net:

If you plan to WOMP the thing off-road, there is a major draw-back I have experienced. Because of the increased leverage between the body and the frame, I had fatigued the body enough to pull the mounting bolts (with washers) through in a few spaces. This took roughly 10-15 outings. I hate 'em. If you're looking for ground clearence, cut the fenders and put on bigger tires...

Reply to
Bomber