BOP to Chevy pattern adapter?

Folks-

I'm looking to swap a diesel into my Jeep. I already have a 700R4 transmission using the standard Chevy bolt pattern. I'd like to use this tranny behind a 350 diesel.

Comments on the 350 diesel to dev/null, unless you are prepared to suggest a diesel that will bolt to a standard checy pattern. In that case, I'm all ears.

I need to know if there is a adapter for the BOP pattern to the standard Chevy pattern, as differentiated here:

Also, if there's a 700R4 housing that uses this pattern, please let me know of it.

Reply to
burntkat

ok, so I shoulda googled....

$58 at Summit... and I've got a $20 off coupon.

This diesel swap is making more sense all the time...

Reply to
burntkat

You will need an adapter to bolt a BOP engine to a Chevy trans and also shims behind the flywheel to properly engage the torque converter into the pump. What year is the TH700? Is it pre-'85?

Reply to
Shades

look for the tranny that came behind the 350 diesel.. my uncle had one in an '82 caprice.. not sure if it had a 700-r4 or the 200-4r. I think the 6.2 uses the chevy pattern and has a much better rep than the 5.7.

also you'll need to get the 700-r4 setup for a diesel... i.e. very low stall converter, valve body and governor... you don't want it making a

4500rpm downshift on you.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

hmm-- good eye, Brett.

Wouldn't happen to know what sort of economy you get out of a 6.2, or how much it weighs, would you?

4cyl turbodiesel out of a moving truck is starting to be attractive...
Reply to
burntkat

not sure on either.. but I don't think the 6.2 weighed much more than the 5.7.. that olds block was heavier than a big block chevy! I think my uncle got high 20's out of the 5.7 in the caprice.. I think you can do the same or better depending greatly on gearing.

which one.. out of an isuzu NPR? or the 4cyl cummins?.

if it was me, I'd go looking for a 89-93 Dodge W250 w/ a 12 valve cummins and a manual (I'll never ever advocate a mopar auto... they just suck).. the whole combo needs (iirc) just 2 12v connections and fuel and you're good go.. length may be a problem in a jeep, along with weight if you're still on stock axles.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

What bellhousing bolt pattern is the NPR I-4 Diesel? I have though about putting one in a pick up for scrap hauling. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig