Brake controller question

I have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 2007 classic. Alsi I have a homemade trailer with electric brakes.

I wired in my Journeyman brake controller. Plugged it using my vehicle's standard plug, and also used the proper fuse to fuse the "RV power supply" wire.

The good news is that the controller seems to send power to brakes. Also the power on the auxiliary line is on.

What surprises me (or maybe is bad news) is that even when the brakes are not in operation, I measure about 5 volts on the brake terminal inside my trailer's electrical box. Applying the brake control using a manual lever increases this voltage (as evidenced by the brake LEDs) to full voltage.

My question is WTF? Why would there be any voltage on the brake terminal when the controller is not activated? Is something wrong?

I will try to call Journeyman on Monday, but any ideas will be appreciated.

My second question is that the power to the RV plug continues even when the engine is turned OFF. That seems to have a nice potential to drain the battery. The obvious remedy is to pull the trailer plug every time it is turned off, but that seems dangerous. Is that normal?

thanks

Ignoramus23763

Answers below

Does your controller sense the presence of brakes? If so, maybe that is why.

Yes, that is normal.

Reply to
Wayne

You will have around 5 volts, but if you put a test light on, there will not be enough current to light it. You have a solid state controller, I'd venture to guess, and it is "monitoring" the brake connection.

As for the "RV POWER" I ALWAYS install a constant duty solenoid in that line, and put a switch on it so I can shut it off when I don't need it, and it automatically disconnects when the tow vehicle is shut off. It charges the "RV house battery" when driving, and disconnects when the engine is shut down.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

It is enough to light up a LED. :)

Anyway, it seems that everything is working okay. I may take my trailer on another test ride soon, this time to test the brakes.

Thanks Clare.

Ignoramus23763

An LED will light on something like 8ma. Iknow, I saw the smiley.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca