brake drum used where?

Hi all,

We have a new (old) '82 GMC shortbox. It came from the factory as a 1/2-ton 4x4 with a 305 engine and a crashbox, Now it sports 3/4-tons diffs, a 350 and a TH-400. I have no idea what year the diffs came from.

So far I have been able to obtain replacements for the parking brake, the brake hoses, shoes, and the master cylinder. The brake hardware kits from NAPA seem to be mix and match when compared with what was on the truck.

The hardest part to pin down is the brake drum.

11-5/32" x 2-3/4" Put the drum on a flat surface and measure up through the center hole and you get 5-5/8" The replacement drums (for a 1979) from NAPA measure 4-3/4" and obviously will not fit. Guess I will have to pay a re-stocking fee.

Does anyone have an idea what years my drums are likely from?

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

We all are going to HOPE that you still have the tags on the differential. If you do just copy the number off the diff ( ALL OF THEM) and call your dealer. They should be able to decipher the year from that. Good luck

Reply to
seeray28

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:44:48 -0500, The Nolalu Barn Owl

wrote: you need a longer name..

if all else fails, take a brake drum with you to a good parts house or machine shop.. they'll find the right one for you..

Reply to
mac davis

are your axles 6 lug or 8 lug? how many bolts on the diff covers? FF or SF? my '88 K2500 has a semi-floating 9.5" 14 bolt w/ the 11 5/32 X

2 3/4 brakes. I've never measured the depth of the drums before so I can't help you there.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks, Turns out that the chick that helped me at NAPA didn't know that the computer had illustrations. I had the old drum there but she ordered the wrong one. Today a young lad helped me and he found the pic of my drums and says they fit '74-80 3/4-ton FF 11-5/32 x 2-3/4" The drums should be here tomorrow morning from Winnipeg.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Thanks,

I had to change the rear brake hose today and looked all over for a tag. Got to thinking and slid under my '80 that had only one owner when I picked it up. Neither of them have a tag. Went to my '77 blazer and '77 Pickup also. None of them have tags either.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

She was ok, just dancing to the beat of a different drum.. *groan*

I'm glad your problem was solved!

Reply to
mac davis

wELLLLLL, Semi solved. One drum came in one box and one drum for some kinda little pipsqueak truck came in the other box. Both boxes sported the same part number.

Each trip to town is a one hour drive and now I have to make another trip.

The front brake hoses were another problem. They both looked exactly like the one on the passenger side that I removed. You would think that there would be a right and left hose. Anyway, the hole for the fitting at the caliper is too small. Identical in every other respect.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl