Brake Light Problem

1990 Chevy Pickup Extended Cab 350c.i.

My rear break lights will come on sometimes after the truck is parked and the key is out of the ignition. I've located a switch on the brake pedal that might be defective. However, I also thought maybe there is not enough pressure in the brake pedal itself to keep the switch from making contact and turning on my rear brake lights.

Any ideas how to go about this????

Reply to
Steve

pressure Turns The Switch ON Not OFF

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Santa

Reply to
Steve

you readjust the Switch it shud slide away from the Pedal

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Santa

The pressure does not come from the hydraulics. What he means is that the brake pedal lever pushes against the switch. If you can turn of the lights off by lifting on the pedal the switch must be too close to the lever. Otherwise it is probably a defective switch.

Reply to
Rich

Actually you got that backwards. If pulling up on the brake pedal turns the lights off, the switch is too far from the pedal arm, not to close. It works the same way the dome light switches on the door jams work, when the pin coming out of the end of the switch is depressed, it breaks the electrical contact. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning