Brake Light Problem

1990 Chevy Pickup Extended Cab 350c.i.
My rear break lights will come on sometimes after the truck is parked and the key is out of the ignition. I've located a switch on the brake pedal
that might be defective. However, I also thought maybe there is not enough pressure in the brake pedal itself to keep the switch from making contact and turning on my rear brake lights.
Any ideas how to go about this????
pressure Turns The Switch ON Not OFF
Steve wrote:

I meant backpressure from the system

you readjust the Switch it shud slide away from the Pedal
Steve wrote:

The pressure does not come from the hydraulics. What he means is that the brake pedal lever pushes against the switch. If you can turn of the lights off by lifting on the pedal the switch must be too close to the lever. Otherwise it is probably a defective switch.

and
pedal
making

lights
Actually you got that backwards. If pulling up on the brake pedal turns the lights off, the switch is too far from the pedal arm, not to close. It works the same way the dome light switches on the door jams work, when the pin coming out of the end of the switch is depressed, it breaks the electrical contact. Whitelightning