brake lights are not working correctly

my brake lights do not come on when i press the brake light the only light that does come on is the third brake light, the brake lights do come on when headlights are on, could anyone please tell me how to fix this problem

Reply to
angelluvpapito

Sure! Find out which idiot friend of yours has been screwing around with your brake lights, and give them an up close and personal introduction to a handful of heavy metal, courtesy of Mr. Sturm Ruger and Company.

Just in case, however, the problem is the result of causes OTHER than human intervention, pull the brake/tailight assemblies and check for corroded/broken wires. Ensure good ground at those sockets. USUALLY the brake light filament is the same as the turn signal. Check to see that the rear turn signals are operating. If they operate and the brake lights still don't, then check wiring from the center mounted brake light down to the tail light sockets for breaks and worn insulation...

Reply to
Raymond Sirois

SNIP

If they operate and the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most, if not all, vehicles are not wired this way. The 3rd brake light has its own wire direct from the switch on the brake pedal. The left and right brake light wiring is routed thru the turn signal switch, with a separate wire for each side. (if brake and turn are separate bulbs, then they might all be on one wire)

Reply to
Reed

Well there ya go! Someone who sounds like he knows how it's wired. I'd listen to him then, as I was just going by guesswork...

Reply to
Raymond Sirois

I don't know about chevies , but ford and vw ( and prolly chevy to ) run turn signals through the 4-way switch. When the 4-way is not on - the turn signals operate , yet when the 4-ways are on the turn signal switch is not in the control of the turning lights. This does explain the op's statement of his brake lights working with the lights on , unless he is seeing the running lights as brake lights.

4-way switches in some vehicles can be the cause of no brake lights. A little shot of contact cleaner and several brisk operations of the switch often fix this fault. ( the switch just doesn't get used )
Reply to
samstone

This does NOT explain ( oops )

Reply to